Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

NPB Awards

Discussion in the NPB News forum
NPB Awards
Nobuhiko Matsunaka won the Pacific League MVP Award. Matsunaka hit .358 with 44 HR and 120 RBI. Matsunaka also won a Triple Crown Award.

Kenshin Kawakami won the Central League MVP Award. Kawakami went 17-7 with a 3.32 ERA, in 192.1 IP. Kawakami also had 5 complete games and won the Sawamura Award which is the equilvant of the MLB Cy Young Award.

Lions' manager Tsutomu Itoh won the Shoriki Award.

Source: Daily Yomiuri
See also: Voting Results, Chunichi stats page, Daiei stats page
Comments
Re: NPB Awards
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Oct 29, 2004 12:10 AM ]

I'll post the awards in the data archive in baseballguru.com shortly, but for now, the entire list of award recipients can be found here: [Link - JapanBall.com]

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 29, 2004 9:43 AM ]

Looks like the only awards not yet announced are the Gold Gloves.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 29, 2004 10:07 AM ]

The Central League Rookie of the Year went to Yakult's pitcher Ryo Kawashima. Kawashima went 10-4 with a 3.16 ERA. [Stats]

The Pacific League Rookie of the Year went to Daiei's pitcher Koji Mise. Mise went 4-3 with 28 saves and a 3.06 ERA. [Stats]

[Link - Japan Times]
Best Nine
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Oct 29, 2004 4:03 PM | HT Fan ]

Best Nine(s):

Central League:
P: Kawakami, Chunichi
C: Furuta, Yakult (yay!)
1B: Woods, Yokohama
2B: Araki, Chunichi
2B: LaRocca, Hirohsima
3B: Tatsunami, Chunichi
SS: Ibata, Chunichi
OF: Shima, Hiroshima
OF: Kanemoto, Hanshin
OF: Rhodes, Kyojin

Pacfic League:
P: Iwakuma, Kintetsu
C: Johjima, Daiei
1B: Matsunaka, Daiei
2B: Iguchi, Daiei
3B: Ogasawara, Nippon Ham
SS: Kawasaki, Daiei
OF: Wada, Seibu
OF: SHINJO, Nippon Ham
OF: Tani, Orix
DH: Seguinol, Nippon Ham

Comeback Award: Kokubo, Kyojin
Re: Best Nine
[ Author: Guest: Mischa Gelman | Posted: Oct 29, 2004 8:25 PM ]

> 2B: Araki, Chunichi
> 2B: LaRocca, Hirohsima

Why are there 2 second basemen? Did they tie in the voting? Has this ever happened before?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 29, 2004 11:09 PM | YBS Fan ]

To answer the first two questions, see this thread where the Best Nine voting is tabulated.

To answer the third question, it looks like it is the first time. I looked through my 2004 Baseball Record Book (Baseball Magazine Sha) and all of the Central and Pacific League Best Nines have nine players each (until the DH was added - then ten players each).

If you look at the voting, you'll see that there's a wide gap in most positions between number one and number two. There are only a few close races.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Oct 30, 2004 7:31 AM | HT Fan ]

Remember that these awards have more to do with team performance, rather than individual numbers. That's why Araki won out at second, despite being the fourth best second baseman in the Central League. LaRocca, Imaoka, and Nishi all had better seasons than Araki. Same deal with Tatsunami - wouldn't you rather have Kokubo or Iwamura? I would.

The Pacific League outfield is somewhat debatable, too, but I think all three guys earned their spots.

The rest were mostly good picks though.
[ Author: Guest: semaJlliBfonaf | Posted: Oct 30, 2004 8:05 AM ]

The ridiculous tradition of giving the MVP to a pitcher on the winning club, despite every other fact (with Uehara's rookie year displaying the idiocy of this Central League tradition most plainly), continues with Kawakami's (overwhelming) selection.

I love Kawakami, mind you!

How impossible it is to have any respect for those who direct and report on the Central League!
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Nov 7, 2004 5:26 AM ]

Does anyone know who the Golden Glove winners are?
Golden Glove Awards
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 12, 2004 7:36 PM | YBS Fan ]

At long last, the 2004 Golden Glove Awards have been announced:

Central League                     Pacific League
Kawakami Kenshin (CD) Pitcher Matsuzaka Daisuke (SL)
Furuta Atsuya (YS) Catcher Johjima Kenji (FDH)
Watanabe Hiroyuki (CD) First Matsunaka Nobuhiko (FDH)
Araki Masahiro (CD) Second Iguchi Tadahito (FDH)
Iwamura Akinori (YS) Third Nakamura Norihiro (OKB)
Ibata Hirokazu (CD) Shortstop Kawasaki Munenori (FDH)
Alex Ochoa (CD) Outfield Shinjo Tsuyoshi (HNHF)
Kuramoto Hidenori (CD) '' Muramatsu Arihito (OBW)
Akahoshi Norihiro (HT) '' Tani Yoshimoto (OBW)

For the nine positions, Chunichi took six awards. This is the first time since the introduction of the "Diamond Glove Award" in 1972 that one ball club took six awards. This was credited to Ochiai's motto that defense wins games. Committing only 45 errors, Chunichi had a team ERA of 3.86, while giving up the fewest runs in the Central League, 558. Araki was the top vote getter with 147.

Nippon Ham's Shinjo won his eighth Golden Glove, his first in four years, and was the top vote getter in the Pacific League with 124 votes.

Nikkan Sports did not publish any other voting information, so, no, I don't have that list for you. Sorry.

Correction
[ Author: Basebill | Posted: Nov 13, 2004 7:20 AM | TYS Fan ]

Westbay-san,

You mean this is the first time in the Central League that a team has won 6 Gold/Diamond Gloves. The Lions dominated the PL voting in the early 1990s
Re: Correction
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 13, 2004 9:29 AM ]

6 Gold Gloves were awarded in 1994 (Pacific League) to the following Lions:
Re: Correction
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: Nov 16, 2004 12:01 AM | CHU Fan ]

Akiyama was a Hawk in 1994.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.