Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hawks Release Pedro Valdes

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Hawks Release Pedro Valdes
The Daiei Hawks have released Pedro Valdes. Can someone tell me why? (Daiei's financial problems?)

Valdes is only 31. His stats this year: .279, 18 home runs, 74 RBIs in 115 games. In 2003, 2002 and 2001 he hit above .300 with 20-25 HRs. Maybe he had a lesser season this year, but that is no reason to release him.
Comments
Re: Hawks Release Pedro Valdes
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 15, 2004 9:56 PM ]

Seeing as how Daiei has been going through their financial problems this year, they decided to release Valdez. Daiei has just seeked help from the ICRJ (Industrial Revitalization Corpration of Japan). [See also this thread.]
Re: Hawks Release Pedro Valdes
[ Author: daijnj | Posted: Oct 15, 2004 11:18 PM | FSH Fan ]

If you can figure out the whys of situations like this, you may be afflicted with the same disease the Hawks' management suffers from. Valdes expressed a desire to come back to Fukuoka, at one point earlier in the year was assured he would be able to, and apparently let it be known he would accept a cut to return. I think it is a mistake for the Hawks, but feel confident he will be picked up by someone else in Japan.

A minor elbow injury probably lowered his average this year and this may have been one reason for conceren, but he is a proven hitter and will probably be back next year to make the Hawks regret their decision.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.