Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

What's going on with Daiei?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
What's going on with Daiei?
Hello,

Having been a fan of the Hawks since childhood (back when I lived in Japan), I have been worried about the future of the team, even before the whole merger situation started. With their financial problems, I thought it would be a matter of time before something happened to this team.

I read a report that said the Hawk had been "confiscated" by a U.S. firm, which then took over the team's day-to-day operations. There haven't been any follow-up reports on this since. I'm assuming this is just a rumor, but it certainly doesn't seem good for the team.

Has anybody else heard anything on this? Please post back if you have. Thank you.
Comments
Re: What's going on with Daiei?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 26, 2004 11:26 AM | YBS Fan ]

The U.S. firm is Colony Capital, and it's my understanding that it's one of several creditor outfits with a hand in the pie. But I've been reading about this in Japanese, and my business Japanese is poor at best. So I won't pretend to understand the situation.

This Google search (in English) looks like it might hold the answers you seek.

It would be nice if someone who does understand business can provide a summary of what's going on in terms of how it will effect the baseball organization.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 26, 2004 10:31 PM ]

Colony Captial is a private international investment firm who focuses on real-estate related assets and operating companies. Colony only acquired the baseball stadium and Sea Hawks hotel resort. Daiei will continue to run and own the baseball team. Colony set a new company by investing 14.5 billion yen to manage the new business, and will also take on the 60 billion yen in debt that Daiei Inc. accumulated in the Fukuoka operations.

So, in short, Colony will only own the stadium and Sea Hawk Hotel and Resort.

Colony Capital News
Colony Capital History
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 14, 2004 10:23 AM ]

Presure from creditor banks have forced the Daiei Inc. to seek help from the Industrial Revitalization Corpration of Japan (IRCJ). [Link - Japan Times]
Softbank to Buy Daiei
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 19, 2004 7:16 AM ]

The Softbank Corporation announced Monday it would like to buy the Daiei Hawks. "The team is immensely popular in Fukuoka, so the team will continue to be based here in the future," Masayoshi Son, president of Softbank Corporation, said at a press conference in Fukuoka. "I've been interested in the baseball business and in contact with Daiei since 2002."

Softbank has a paid-in captial of 162,303,564,101 yen. Softbank is a major telecommunications firm. [Link - Daily Yomiuri] [About Softbank]
Re: Softbank to Buy Daiei
[ Author: himself | Posted: Oct 20, 2004 7:47 AM | FSH Fan ]

Good to see that the team will indeed be staying in Kyushu. They surely couldn't have handled a loss of another team.

So does this mean they are dropping the "Daiei" from the team name? It would be pretty strange for me to start referring to the team as anything other than the "Daiei Hawks."
Re: Softbank to Buy Daiei
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 5, 2004 10:10 AM ]

Daiei is deciding on to sell 80% of the team to the Softbank Corpration, and will keep 20% of the team. If Daiei were to transfer ownership it would take the approval of U.S. investor Colony Capital, which bought the Fukuoka Dome. Also, it will be necessary for Daiei to make arrangements with UFJ Bank and the two other banks it deals with. [Link - Daily Yomiuri]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.