Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Detailed Stats from the past

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Detailed Stats from the past
I am trying to find information on a batting title race, but am not sure of the year. I believe it was about 1988 and all I am sure of is the runner-up (Matsunaga of the Hankyu Braves). Where can I find statistics that show not only the winners of each statistical category, but also lists the top few spots in each race and their stats for past years? (Japanese is OK.)
Comments
Re: Detailed Stats from the past
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 23, 2002 2:45 PM | YBS Fan ]

I have the yearly top 10 batting average and ERA in my Baseball Record Book by Baseball Magazine Sha.

I think you were right about it being 1988 that Hiromi Matsunaga went against Lotte's Hideaki Takazawa (currently a batting coach for Lotte). As you mentioned here, Takazawa beat him out .327 to .326. (I'll take your word for it being on all walks their final game.)

Matsunaga finished 3rd the following year (1989 - team became Orix).

He came even closer to the batting title in 1991, finishing .3140, .0004 behind Lotte's Mitsuchika Hirai at .3144. Even though this was a closer race, since Hankyu had changed hands to become Orix, I don't think that this is the year you're referring to.

He then finished 4th in 1992 and 1994.

There was a big out cry about this sort of behavior when Chunichi's Yamazaki took the home run title in 1996 after the Dragons walked Matsui every at bat in the Giants' last game of the season. Was it the last time? No. But fans are getting to be more vocal about this sort of action.
Re: Detailed Stats from the past
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Sep 24, 2002 10:53 AM ]

I haven't looked up the specific case you are referring to (especially since Michael did so), but Dan Johnson's Statistical Handbook of Japanese baseball has the top 5 for each season in the hitting (avg, HR, RBI) and pitching (wins, ERA, strikeouts) triple crown categories for each year 1936-1997.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.