Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Richard Shoji Kitamura

Discussion in the Pro Yakyu History forum
Richard Shoji Kitamura
My father was a infielder for the Mainichi Orions in the late 1940's and/or early 1950's. His name was Richard Shoji Kitamura. I am trying to get his career stats and any other information that NPB may have. I could not access NPB's English website. Any suggestions?
Comments
Re: Richard Shoji Kitamura
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 31, 2004 9:07 AM | YBS Fan ]

I'll enter these this evening after work.

Data requests generally go in this thread, but if you provide some information on your father's career with Mainichi, I think that it would make some interesting historical reading.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 31, 2004 8:19 PM | YBS Fan ]

Apologies, but I just got home and have a bit of a fever. I think I'm catching what the rest of the family has had for the past week and a half. Please forgive me, but I'll try to take care of this tomorrow after a good night's rest.

There is a chance that Garland-san will put up his new site in the next 24 hours, which may have Kitamura. We'll see.

Sorry again for the delay. I shouldn't promise what I can't deliver.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Apr 1, 2004 3:43 AM ]

Hi everybody,

I gotta go to work in a little bit, but I've been working on my new site all morning. And yes, I do have some stats for Kitamura, though Morioka-san's book as well as another one I have lists his name as "Masashi."

Anyway, I will upload everything sometime after midnight PST and you will see it up Thursday morning PST. Please direct any e-mail here: japanbaseballdaily at yahoo d0t com. Thanks.

I will still be affiliated with Baseball Guru even though I will have my own site. This just allows me to do more, even as simply done as it is.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 2, 2004 1:08 PM | YBS Fan ]

A quick Google shows his name as Shoji at a Lotte fan site [Link].

While 正司 can be read as "Masashi," I'd be more inclined to believe a family member about the reading of his name.

The reason I was given that the Encyclopedia doesn't include yomigana for players' names is that there are disputes over their pronunciations from the early days of Pro Yakyu. These disputes are even within the families themselves. I'm hoping that the upcoming Encyclopedia will include yomigana for names nonetheless. (Speaking of the Encyclopedia, I saw an ad in today's Nikkan Sports stating that it will go on sale at the end of May.)
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 2, 2004 1:19 PM | YBS Fan ]

OK. I've entered his career stats here. The only two details I don't have are his birthplace (I'm assuming Hawaii) and his uniform number for each year on Mainichi. If you have either of these, I'd greatly appriciate the info to make his record complete.
[ Author: Guest: mouse | Posted: Apr 3, 2004 10:58 PM ]

How do you do?

He did bunt often in 1953.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.