Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Brothers Playing in Japan?

Discussion in the Pro Yakyu History forum
Brothers Playing in Japan?
Have there been any family combinations in Japanese baseball, either historically or recently? Have there been any dynasties like the Boones in MLB or anyone comparable to the Waner or DiMaggio brothers?
Comments
Re: Brothers Playing in Japan?
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Feb 17, 2004 12:48 PM ]

Off the top of my head, the Lee brothers are probably one of the most successful. Recently, the Iriki brothers had some success.

Then there is Nagashima and his son; also Nomura and his son. Neither sons were/are everyday players.
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Feb 17, 2004 2:07 PM ]

Well, there were the Lee brothers, Leon and Leron.

There were also father-son combos, like Nagashimas and Nomuras, but the sons never seemed to pan out.
[ Author: Guest: Drew Cobb | Posted: Apr 1, 2004 10:38 AM ]

Here is a little different twist. At least 1 set of American brothers played in Japay: Adrian Garrett and his brother, Wayne. Adrian helped the Carp to the championship in 1979. In 3 years, he hit 102 home runs for Hiroshima. I think if he would have stayed longer, his records for home runs would have been among the all time leaders in Japan.
[ Author: sigbotchan | Posted: Apr 25, 2004 4:25 PM ]

I am honored to jump in!

Hi, do you remember the Rajsich brothers? Older brother, Dave, pitched for the Carp while younger brother, Gary, saw more playing time for the Dragons.

Oh, and I should mention the Cruz brothers: Hector (Kyojin) and Tony (Nihon-ham). Tony survived longer than his older brother. Hector once played 151 games for the Cardinals and had more MLB services than his younger brother.

Oyako suketto are rare, but has been accomplished by Marty (Nishitetsu?) and Matt Keough (Hanshin).

Thanks,
Yuki Sei
[ Author: sigbotchan | Posted: Apr 25, 2004 4:51 PM ]

P.S. Very similar to the Perry brothers or Niekro brothers of MLB, the Kaneda brothers were great in Japan. I don't think they are counted as suketto, though.

People should know pretty well about Kane-san, but his younger brother, Tomehiro-san, seemed to be an outstanding talent (unfortunately, I'm only 24, so I never had a chance to see him pitch).

For my generation, Nimura brothers may sound familiar. Nimura Kaoru played for Kyojin and Chunichi. He was better known as Nimura-ani. Nimura-otouto got more playing time under Hoshino-kantoku's Dragons. Both contributed to the Dragons' 1988 run to the Nihon Series.

Tomashino brothers also saw some ups and downs. The older Tomashino was Mori-kantoku's utility infielder (Seibu). The younger brother played for Yakult and won Rookie of the Year in 1989.

Yuki Sei
[ Author: Guest: Nezumi | Posted: May 6, 2006 9:15 PM ]

Etoh - Shin-ichi (Dragons-Orions-Whales-Lions-Orions) and Shohzoh (Giants-Dragons)

Kohno - Kazumasa (Giants) and Takayuki (Hawks)

Sadaoka - Chiaki (Hawks) and Shohji (Giants) - Tetsuhisa (Carp-Fighters)

Nishimoto - Akikazu (Carp) and Takashi (Giants-Dragons-BlueWave-Giants)

Taihoh Yasuaki (Dragons-Tigers-Dragons) and Taijun Masahiro (Marines)

Iwamura - Takashi (Buffaloes) and Akinori (Swallows)

Almonte - Hector (Giants) and Erick (Fighters)

Miki - Hajime (Swallows) and Masashi (Buffaloes)

Arai - Takahiro (Carp) and Ryohta (Dragons)

間違いがあったら教えて下さい。
If there are any mistakes, please let me know.
[ Author: Heian-794 | Posted: Sep 21, 2006 1:55 AM | HT Fan ]

How about the Iriki brothers with the Giants?
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Oct 31, 2006 4:14 AM ]

You are forgetting the most famous brothers in Japanese baseball.
  1. The Noguchi Brothers (Akira, Jiro, Wataru, Noboru) - Jiro won 40 games one season and had 237 wins under his belt
  2. Kaneda Brothers (Masaichi, Tomehiro)
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.