Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

CPBL: Lin Yingjie Breaks Strikeout Record

Discussion in the Around Asia forum
CPBL: Lin Yingjie Breaks Strikeout Record
Macoto Cobras' ace pitcher Lin Ying-Jie breaks CPBL single season strike out record in a game against the Whales on Sunday night, as a strange, rare earthquake shaked Taipei one night before and a big typhoon came the next day.

He struck out 3 in the game, and setup another milestone, 202 Ks on the season, passing the 200 K record by ex-Junguo-Bear William Flynt by two. Lin went to the mound in the 7th inning and struck out Zheng Chang-Ming to tie William's old record. Then he struck out Tong Zhonghui to break the record, and then Guo Dai-Yong for his 202nd strike out in the 8th. There are three season games remaining. It's possible for him to pitch more innings in the games remaining as he has turned into a reliever, under the direction of Mr. Kaku, who is an ex-Seibu pitcher and now Cobra's Kantoku.

I think it's relatively hard to break his own record in the years to come for anyone other than him. There are two reasons. First, because even possible candidates like Taiwanese pitcher Yang Jian-Fu, Japanese pitcher Yokota Hosanori, and Dominican Pitcher Osvaldo Martinez, have only 154-155 strike outs till now, almost 50 Ks behind. The second reason may be his SO/9 rate which is higher than 9, which is very rare for native Taiwanese pitchers, who may continue playing for the CPBL long after overseas Taiwanese players have proven to be not so good.
Comments
Re: CPBL: Lin Yingjie Breaks Strikeout Record
[ Author: jungo27 | Posted: Jan 22, 2005 11:58 AM ]

I am a little sad to see my record go down, but then again, records are made to be broken. I am just glad that I punched out 200 when it really meant something. Nothing against the guys there now, but back in 1993-94 it was a lot tougher to play in Taiwan. Now there are really no import hitters and guys who are not that good are putting up big numbers.

I wish it could get back to a high level as Taiwan is the best place that I have ever played. I met my wife there and still miss playing in Taiwan very much. Until they stop the gambling it will be a lower class league. But take nothing away from the dude who struck out 203. Congrats to him and I hope he has great success in the future.

Thanks for the update.

Will Flynt
[ Author: Guest: kennywur | Posted: Feb 19, 2005 12:36 AM ]

You are that Will!? Nice to meet you here.

I once thought that your record could never be broken. For a league that played 100 games each team, 200Ks is almost impossible to reach.
[ Author: jungo27 | Posted: Feb 23, 2005 9:08 AM ]

kennywur,

I kind of thought so, too. We actually only played 90 games during my first tour in Taiwan. I am happy for the dude who broke my record, but still wish that the CPBL was close to being as good as it was back before the gambling scandals killed it. It has not been very good for quite some time. The fans in Taiwan, the best baseball fans by far in the world, deseve a better brand of baseball.

Will
[ Author: TMafia | Posted: Feb 28, 2005 12:44 PM ]

I cant believe it! It's Will! I remember "listening" to you play ball (back then I had no cable). My biggest impression of you was that you were over used by the Bears (now Bulls). God bless!

Anyway, thanks for your good effort. It gave me a good childhood memory! All the best!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.