Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tsao to relief?

Discussion in the Around Asia forum
Tsao to relief?
Chin-hui Tsao might never start another game in the majors. The Rockies worried about his lingering injuries. Recent Olympic performance might make Tsao a reliever when he is activated, which could be over the weekend. [Link - Denver Post]
Comments
Re: Tsao to relief?
[ Author: Guest: Andrew | Posted: Sep 12, 2004 3:13 AM ]

It's not so bad. He could become the next Eric Gagne for all we know.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 13, 2004 10:34 AM ]

Tsao, to me, would be a great closer in the major leagues, which makes me think that with Tsao's recent injuries, and pitching in Coors Field, why didn't they do this earlier?
[ Author: Guest: Tony | Posted: Sep 14, 2004 6:48 AM ]

Yeah, he can get his fastball average at 98 mph if he relieves. But that would be a waste of the other pitches that he is good at. You don't see many relievers that have control of three pitches, so I still think he should start.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 14, 2004 10:30 AM ]

- But that would be a waste of the other pitches that he is good at. You don't see many relievers that have control of three pitches, so I still think he should start.

Not exactly, if Tsao would have dominance of all of these pitches, then it wouldn't be a waste. If being a closer can jump-start Tsao's career, which I think it will do, then the Rockies need to do it.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 15, 2004 9:54 AM ]

Tsao made his 2004 season debut yesterday (September 13). Tsao pitched a perfect inning of relief. Tsao reached 97 MPH on his fastball and demonstrated good control of his slider. Rockies' pitching [coach?] Bob Apadoca described it pefectly yesterday, "He is somebody athletic with poise, who holds runners well, who has three pitches, three different speeds that he can throw for strikes," and that "Those are the ingredients you see in successful relievers." Tsao definetly has the ability to become a successful reliever. [Link - Denver Post]
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 15, 2004 5:19 PM ]

Wasting his pitches, never. Eric Gagne, Dennis Eckersly, Shawn Chacon (same team), and many, many, many others have started off starting only to be removed to the pen.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 23, 2004 10:22 AM ]

It might look more likely that Tsao could close as the Rockies could re-evaluate Shawn Chacon's $3,000,000 plus salary this off-season and see if they want to offer Chacon arbitration or not, or go with someone else, like maybe Tsao. [Link - Denver Post]
Re: Tsao to Relief?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 10, 2005 12:45 AM ]

Rockies' manager Clint Hurdle said if the Rockies fail to sign a closer, Tsao would share closer duties with Brian Fuentes. [Link - Denver Post]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.