Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kawakami

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Kawakami
Hi. First post.

There are rumors that Kenshin Kawakami wants to come to the U.S. next season. What do you think his prospects are for success in the U.S.?

Thanks.
Comments
Re: Kawakami
[ Author: Guest: Kawakami expert | Posted: May 17, 2008 9:54 AM ]

He will be a 15-20 game winner. I really see him doing good.
[ Author: YakyuFan | Posted: May 17, 2008 2:14 PM ]

Not if he pitches like he did against Yakult. His best bet is to stay in Nagoya. Otherwise, he might find himself in A-Ball in the States.
[ Author: Guest: Ron | Posted: May 19, 2008 9:27 PM ]

How can you find his current year stats on the site? I can find his career stats, but not 2008.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 19, 2008 10:20 PM | YBS Fan ]

[ Author: Tokyo Sox | Posted: Oct 27, 2008 12:55 PM | TYS Fan ]

Old thread, but new news:

This article, This article [Yahoo! Japan headlines] in Japanese is reporting that Kawakami has signed with Tony Attanasio, who also represents Ichiro. According to the article, Kawakami will wait until the end of the Japan Series to announce both his intention to exercise his Free Agency rights, and his desire to move to MLB.
[ Author: IsaacWA | Posted: Oct 9, 2009 2:22 AM | CHU Fan ]

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just need to add this.

Decent first year for Kawakami, W-L is not great, but his other numbers are solid, and he improved over the season. If he can continue to improve over next year he will definitely be worth the salary they gave him. There are some rumors that he will be traded, as the Braves are deep in starting pitching.
 G GS CG SHO  IP    H   R ER HR BB  SO W  L P/GS WHIP  BAA  ERA
32 25 0 0 156.1 153 73 67 15 57 105 7 12 91.1 1.34 .260 3.86
[ Author: Really Off Topic | Posted: Nov 9, 2009 10:50 AM ]

He didn't make 15 wins, but that's due in part to needing time to adjust and due to missing some time for an injury. Then he finished the year coming out of the bullpen when Tim Hudson came off the DL and they had a surplus of starting pitchers. So he kind of got squeezed out of the rotation for several reasons.

My bet is that they trade one of their other pitchers and keep Kawakami. A 3.86 ERA in your first year in the major leagues is nothing to be ashamed of, that's for sure.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.