Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bobby V. to the Yanks?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Bobby V. to the Yanks?
The New York media is reporting that Bobby V. is in consideration to replace Torre. The Yanks could buy out his contract and double Bobby's already generous Lotte salary.

Think Bobby would love the job and to be back in NY again, in the center of the baseball world (at least in the US).
Comments
Re: Bobby V. to the Yanks?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 20, 2007 3:10 PM | SFT Fan ]

Well I was waiting for the inevitable Bobby V. to manage [insert blank MLB team] here rumors to start with the departure of Torre. I didn't even have to wait until the World Series were over. [Chuckles sarcastically.]

Why would Valentine want to leave Japan where he's a living legend to manage in the Bronx Zoo and deal with the headaches of dealing with George Steinbrenner and the current Yankee sinking ship coming with the departure of Joe Torre?

Why leave all of that to manage the Yankees, where he could possibly be gone 1-2 years down the line in George Steinbrenner's managerial musical chairs? Why leave the Marines where he has massive control of game decisions?

Anyway this is all moot, Valentine is hardly the favorite of George Steinbrenner, it's obvious Don Mattingly (Donnie Baseball) is the key favorite, with Joe Girardi second. Valentine's is a massive long shot to manage the Yankees.

Now I believe Valentine would be a good candidate to manage the Yankees, and would surely be a help with the youth movement and dealing with the Big Apple, but I hardly see the Yankees handing him the keys to the the managerial job.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Oct 21, 2007 12:02 AM ]

I could think of $20 million reasons why Bobby would jump, not to mention having the greatest media spotlight to warm his always craving ego.

However, I have seen no media reports that he is under consideration. I also think that for him, Bobby has the ideal job.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 20, 2007 5:03 PM | SFT Fan ]

Marines' officials have confirmed Valentine will return for 2008 [Japan Baseball Daily]. Hopefully this ends the media speculation of becoming the next Yankees manager.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Oct 21, 2007 12:04 AM ]

Hey, since when does one let the facts get in the way of a good sports story?
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Oct 21, 2007 2:44 PM ]

Exactly Ed!

The Lotte announcement means nothing and may indicate that they, too, think the Yankees may pull Bobby M. away. If the Yanks want Bobby he will go and Lotte will be left holding the bag.

Asking why Bobby V. would prefer New York to Makuhari is not worthy of a response. As Ed points out, it's about the buzz that Bobby would get in NY as manager. One season being there is like 100 in Makuhari.

Also Steinbrenner is on the way out. As much as I dislike the guy for ruining baseball in the U.S., I know he would never have offered Torre the deal last week. That was the work of his idiot son and other family members, no doubt assisted by some management consultant types. If Steinbrenner can drop $20 million on Igawa (what a waste), you think he cares about $3 million or so more for Torre?

If the Yanks want to win a series they go with Bobby. If they want more of the same, maybe even less, they go with Mattingly.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Oct 22, 2007 12:00 AM ]

I don't think the Yankee brain trust is going to make a run at Bobby. He would not be able to handle the egos and personalities in the clubhouse, on top of the Tampa Circus. The clubhouse would explode. That was the genius of Torre as a manager. He was a politico and a facilitator amidst a convolution of big egos, rather than a great baseball strategist and motivator of men. They need that motivator and strategist now, and it was Joe's time to go.

From what I read, Bobby has cult status in Japan. There, he is a baseball god. In New York, it would be love/hate, under the microscope, illuminated for all to see. He sure would enjoy being in the spotlight if it was flattering, but the lighting will not always be flattering. He doesn't need that now in his life and I suspect Bobby has matured a bit to understand that. He really seems to like it in Japan (who wouldn't want to be a god?) and besides, if Mattingly isn't hired, there will be a caretaker/mentor/tutor for him for only a couple of years. I don't think Bobby wants that gig now.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.