Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Uehara a Free Agent?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Uehara a Free Agent?
With the new rules, I've heard conflicting stories as to Uehara being able to sign with a ML team in 2008. Can anyone clear this up?

(I realize his team won't post him, so I'm trying to determine if he is a free agent at the end of the '07 season.)

Thanks!
Comments
Re: Uehara a Free Agent?
[ Author: Guest: NED | Posted: Oct 9, 2007 8:30 AM ]

Since asking to be posted two years ago, it has been rumored that Uehara has been unhappy with how he has been treated by the Giants' management. This mistreatment might be why Uehara has regressed since his 2004 season. As a free agent with the high esteem he already has amongst major league teams, Uehara figures to earn $10 - 12 million dollars annually after 2007.
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: Oct 12, 2007 9:16 AM ]

Uehara will not be an FA until after the 2008 season. I was told this by a well-known sportswriter a few months ago. (Strange rules here - look at Fukudome's case.)

As you all are probably aware, the Giants will not post any of their players. My guess is that the Giants will use him so much in relief again next year that he'll be lucky if he's in good condition at all to go to MLB in 2009, but we'll see.

I don't agree with the idea that Uehara will command an annual salary in the range of $10-12 million in MLB. He'll be lucky to get half that because teams will be unsure of how to use him, and they will also be leery of his health.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 12, 2007 5:14 PM | SFT Fan ]

- My guess is that the Giants will use him so much in relief again next year that he'll be lucky if he's in good condition at all to go to MLB in 2009, but we'll see.

Yeah, the Giants will probably use him in relief as an attempt to try and make him look less attractive to a MLB team, but I doubt the fact that's his being a closer now will lower his MLB interest. There are plenty of teams who could use him as a closer in MLB, too. Now the wear and tear could be a slight concern, but I don't see that shying away many MLB teams.

Also, there's no way Uehara is getting a yearly annual salary of $10-12 million. If Daisuke Matsuzaka didn't get $10-12 million, it's very unlikely Uehara will get that much to close. He'll probably be signed for somewhere around $6-8 million a year.
[ Author: Guest: adov | Posted: Oct 19, 2007 3:20 AM ]

If Uehera is a free agent, he'd likely get top dollar because of a potential bidding war. Matsuzaka didn't have that luxury because he was posted and had to either sign with Boston or go back to Japan (which wasn't going to happen).
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: Oct 31, 2007 3:48 PM ]

According to the papers the last few days, the Giants have made it clear that Uehara will be their closer in 2008. When you take into account the success he had this season, this is no surprise at all.
[ Author: thepiper | Posted: Nov 3, 2007 5:06 AM ]

If Uehara doesn't come to the majors in 2008, who might come in '08 or even '09?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.