Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kaz Sasaki

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Kaz Sasaki
What's the scoop? News organizations in Seattle are reporting that according to a report published in a Japanese paper today that Sasaki has decided not to return to the Mariners.
Comments
Re: Kaz Sasaki
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 20, 2004 9:24 AM | YBS Fan ]

I don't know. That's news to me as it wasn't in this morning's Nikkan Sports. Perhaps I missed it yesterday? (I don't pay much attention to the MLB page.)

I do remember reading a week or two ago that Sasaki said that if he returned to Japan, it would be with the BayStars. He also let his former team mates know that his line is always open to give any advice should they ever need it.

Hold on. Let me check yesterday's paper. [...] Whoa! NikkanSports.com does have an article [in Japanese] up stating that Sasaki wants to return to Japan to be closer to his family.

That's just the first paragraph, after that there's something about waivers, but I've got work to do right now. Can somebody else translate this article? If not, I'll look more into it at lunch.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jan 20, 2004 12:10 PM | HAN Fan ]

Jim Street writes at MLB.com [Link] that Sasaki's agent, Tony Attanasio, confirmed that Kazuhiro will forfeit the second year of a $16 million contract to stay in Japan for 2004. Attanasio said that "(Sasaki) wants to be with his wife and two children."

Tim Hevley, the Mariners' PR Director, said that the Mariners "will be as cooperative as we can."

Seattle's KIRO-TV mentioned that Kazuhiro Sasaki will hold a press conferance in Japan at 4:00pm Tuesday.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Jan 22, 2004 2:03 AM ]

- [...] Sasaki wants to return to Japan to be closer to his family.

Should that be "Sasaki wants to return to Japan to be a closer to his family"? ;^)
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 20, 2004 1:57 PM | YBS Fan ]

OK. Still have a little time. Here's what Nikkan Sports had to say yesterday:

Sasaki has expressed that he wishes to return to Japan to be closer to his family. Sasaki still has one more year remaining on his contract, but the Marinars are willing to put him on waivers according to Sasaki's wishes. There's the greatest probability that he will return to Yokohama. There will be a press conference about it on the 20th (today).

The first paragraph is reitterated in the second.

The third paragraph points out that 8,000,000 dollars (8.8-oku yen) remains on Sasaki's contract. But the ball club and Sasaki are working together to grant Sasaki's wish to return.

The next paragraph mentions that Sasaki went on the DL twice last season, chalking up only 10 saves, his lowest in the four years he threw in the Majors. Then there's something about Sasaki thinking about what Clemens said about family, and that he believes that he should put his family first - ie. he is a father above being a ball player.

Next, the article speculates that Sasaki may play for Nagashima's Japan in the Athens Olympics.

A reitteration that Sasaki will be placed on wavers soon comes next, with Melvin-kantoku stating that Sasaki is still well fit to be their stopper. It reitterates that Yokohama is the best bet for where he'll be heading. Then it mentions that, with Yokohama having 3 or 4 foreign pitchers on their list right now, the return of Sasaki may change their restructuring efforts.

Finally, there's mention that the God of Saves has shown interest in playing for the Giants, but that he's stated that it would be better to play for Yokohama if he returned. More than money, the feelings of affection for his former team may win out, seeing the Daimajim return to the BayStars. And it concludes that we'll have to wait until the 20th to find out.

Guess I'll be checking news sites after the 3:00 meeting I have.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Jan 20, 2004 3:33 PM ]

From a fan's view point, I applaud him for his decision. I can understand him being on another side of the world half of the time during the year and suffer injuries for the past year. He'll be deeply missed in MLB, but home sweet home in Japan for him, he'll be a star in NPB and I wish him the best.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jan 21, 2004 2:18 AM | HT Fan ]

Let me preface my comment by saying I'm a huge fan of NPB, and that I actually like it better than MLB.

So Sasaki is coming home. Good! I wish something like this had happened years ago. Then guys like Randy Bass, who wanted some time off to be with his family, might have gotten more sympathy. I know the situation isn't identical, but it is similar.

I realise that things have improved for foreign players. Hanshin gave George Arias some time off in September when his wife had a baby. But I do think Sasaki's decision could positively affect relations between American and Japanese baseball.
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Jan 21, 2004 2:23 AM ]

Sasaki gave us some good years of baseball over here. I respect his decision. He knows what is most important, his family. He has accomplished in MLB what he had set out to do. Best of luck to him.
[ Author: sonoda7 | Posted: Jan 21, 2004 3:02 AM ]

This was rumored last year. And the Mariners protected themselves by signing both Hasegawa and Guadardo.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jan 23, 2004 2:22 PM | HT Fan ]

A shame for me personally, having just moved to the Pacific Northwest. So I will miss seeing Sasaki pitch for the Mariners. The complete details are available, by the way, on the Mariners' web site, of course. [Link - MLB.com]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 27, 2004 6:06 AM ]

Today, Sasaki and his agent traveled to Seattle to handle paperwork on terminating the final year of his contact.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.