Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ohtsuka Posted - Again

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Ohtsuka Posted - Again
As everyone knows, Ohtsuka Akinori was posted by Kintetsu last off-season, and didn't get a single taker. Kintetsu and Ohtsuka had a falling out, and Ohtsuka was traded to Chunichi where he pitched pretty well in middle relief (2.09 ERA in 51 appearances). Well, he's convinced Chunichi to post him this off season as well.

Unlike the 2002-3 off-season, it appears that there is an MLB team interested in him. Nikkan Sports reports that the San Diego Padres have asked about Ohtsuka, and Ohtsuka has said that the Padres are one of the MLB teams that he's interested in. This could be a good match.

While there is the possiblity that no one other than San Diego will bid on Ohtsuka this time around either, they do still need to present a bid that Chunichi will accept. We'll know at the end of this week, at the earliest, how it turns out.
Comments
Re: Ohtsuka Posted - Again
[ Author: japfan | Posted: Nov 17, 2003 6:25 PM ]

I am wondering when we'll know something about this topic. Ohtsuka was posted last year but didn't find takers; this year I think someone will bid for him, especially San Diego because they need a good setup for Trevor Hoffman and some marketing dollars in the year of new PETCO Park.
[ Author: Guest: Eric | Posted: Nov 21, 2003 4:16 AM ]

I live in San Diego and follow the Padres very closely. The Padres did win the sole negotiating rights to him. They have 30 days to work out a deal.

In San Diego he will only be a set up guy for closer Trevor Hoffman, but he looks pretty good. A lot of Pads fans are excited about this.
[ Author: Guest: Interested | Posted: Jan 3, 2004 1:43 PM ]

Any updates about Ohtsuka, and if he was signed by the Padres?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 6, 2004 6:32 AM ]

Ohtsuka was signed to a 2 year contract by the Padres with an option for 2006.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.