Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Takatsu

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Takatsu
Does anybody have an opinion on this pitcher's ability or possible success in MLB?
Comments
Re: Takatsu
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Nov 7, 2003 10:02 PM ]

My opinion is: he has no real desire to go to MLB, but is using MLB to jack up prospective offers from Japanese teams.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 9, 2003 11:51 AM ]

According to Gary Garland, he has set a "condition" that he be a closer. Since my conversion for pitchers, imperfect as it is, indicates an ERA of 3.75 or more and he's well into his 30's, I don't see it. The majors passed on Ohtsuka last year, and to my mind, he was (and is) far more attractive for a MLB team than Takatsu is. With that in mind, I tend to agree with CFiJ. He's got much more value in NPB, but he can't be faulted for trying to bring others into the bidding for his services.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 21, 2003 3:08 AM ]

Whether it means anything or not I don't know, but this pitcher was seen visiting Yankee Stadium yesterday.
[ Author: Guest: John Dwyer | Posted: Jan 16, 2004 2:12 AM ]

There is an article about Takatsu up on espn.com today that says he worked out for a variety of teams.
[ Author: sonoda7 | Posted: Jan 17, 2004 3:15 AM ]

My question for this guy is, how much money and what role? For example, the Yankees already have Rivera, Gordon, and Quantrell. Seattle has Sasaki and Hasegawa. Is he looking to be the closer for a MLB team and for big bucks? Or does he wants to test his skills at the MLB level and sign for a relatively low 1 year contract?
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 18, 2004 1:32 AM ]

He made $1.4 million last year in Japan, so I doubt at his age (35) he'd take less. Given his age, I wouldn't be surprised if getting at least a 2 or 3 year deal isn't a priority. He was quoted as saying if he went to the majors, one of his "conditions" would be to be the closer. The last item may have been a misquote, but the whole picture looks like NPB is his most likely destination.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 22, 2004 10:50 AM ]

It's reported that Takatsu signed a 1 year $1,000,000 contract, with an option for 2005. The White Sox offered him the closer role.
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Jan 26, 2004 11:25 AM ]

If he is as effective in Chicago as he was in Japan, the ChiSox got a steal. He will have jumped over Koch and Marte, the latter being pretty good.

Do you all think he really wanted to do this or did the NPB call his bluff?
[ Author: rhdorsey | Posted: Jan 22, 2004 10:44 AM ]

Rotoworld is reporting that the White Sox will sign Takatsu and will offer him the closer's job. [Link]
[ Author: niibu_yaa | Posted: Jan 25, 2004 11:50 AM | FSH Fan ]

Well the rumors were correct. Takatsu signed the deal [Link - MLB.com] with the Sox on Friday.
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Jan 26, 2004 12:59 PM ]

Maybe not such a bargain. An excerpt from an article in Yahoo! Sports tonight:
Scouts and executives say the White Sox are kidding themselves if they think RHP Shingo Takatsu, Japan's all-time saves leader, can be their closer. Takatsu, a slender 35-year-old sidearmer, throws 84 to 86 mph and averaged only 5.8 strikeouts per nine innings against Japanese hitters the past two seasons. . . .Hopefully, Takatsu-san was a finesse pitcher with a good mix of pitches.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jan 27, 2004 7:25 AM | HT Fan ]

Takatsu is a garbage baller, no doubt about that. But he has a deceptive submarine delivery, and good command of his sinker and other breaking pitches. He keeps the ball down, and I expect he'll be tough on right handed hitters.

I think Takatsu will be useful in giving the Sox a different look out of the pen. If Billy Koch bounces back, then his fastball and Takatsu's breaking stuff might be a good combination.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jan 27, 2004 11:20 AM ]

I wouldn't be surprised to see him start well -- but the question is, once the MLB hitters get a real chance to see what he's got and how he pitches (say by Memorial Day), what happens then? We'll see.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 19, 2004 12:38 PM ]

Takatsu has been named the White Sox closer. [Link - MLB.com]
[ Author: Guest: Chi-ster | Posted: Jun 24, 2004 10:40 AM ]

I'd be very surprised if Takatsu isn't named as an all-star representative for the 'Sox. He's 4 and 0 with 2 saves and a 1.00 ERA. Amazing, considering his fastball tops out at like 87-88 mph.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.