Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yankees Pursuing Kazuo

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Yankees Pursuing Kazuo
ESPN reports that the Yankees will be pursuing Kazuo Matsui. That is insane. At 3rd - Ventura, SS - Jeter, and at 2B is Soriano. So there is no room for K. Matsui. Insane Geogre is building an unfair All Star Team!!!
Comments
Re: Yankees Pursuing Kazuo
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jul 4, 2003 10:24 AM ]

Don't get too excited about rumors at this stage. Further, I think the consensus on this board is that Kazuo Matsui wishes to remain a shortstop. Certainly, Jeter does, too. That is a real problem for any Yankee bid for Kazuo Matsui, and probably dooms it.

Jim Albright
[ Author: btimmer | Posted: Jul 5, 2003 6:09 AM ]

The rumors about Kaz Matsui going to the Yankees usually say that he would play second and Soriano would move to CF or LF. However, the Yankees have a large investment in their CF and LF positions in Williams and H. Matsui.

Teams like Seattle or San Diego could pay a lot for Kaz and they would stick him at shortstop as he is a lot better than either of the shortstops on those teams.

The Padres are opening a new stadium next year, and signing a big name Japanese star would help a lot to improve that team which is one of the worst in the NL, although the Pads are beset by injuries.
[ Author: Giants | Posted: Jul 6, 2003 2:33 PM ]

The SF Giants have a need for a shortstop after Rich Aurilia's contract (which pays him $6 million a year). J.T. Snow's ($7 million this year) contract also ends. So the Giants have around $13 million for a SS and maybe a 1B. Would Kazuo's contact be identical or more/less then Godzilla's contract.
[ Author: Guest: jalbright@earthlink.net | Posted: Jul 7, 2003 1:07 AM ]

I think it is very difficult to predict how much any player in a potential free agent bidding war might get. I think we can safely assume someone in Japan will put up at least $5 million a year for him, unless there are big concerns over his health. After that, how the bidding will go is beyond my ability to guess. It depends on who the bidders are. For instance, if the Yankees are serious, even if they face a handicap by wanting Kazuo to move from short, the final price will go up. The more bidders, the more likely someone will overpay.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jul 9, 2003 7:54 PM ]

Hanshin has indicated it intends to go after him, though how much they intend to offer him remains to be seen. There is also some talk that Yomiuri may be looking at putting him in center field.

If the Yankees get Matsui, they can put him at short and move the less defensively talented Jeter to third. Ventura is just a stopgap because they don't have anyone on the farm who is ready to be an everyday player on the infield (look at Erick Almonte, for example).

Edgar Martinez is retiring after this season, iirc, and that would clear more than enough payroll for Seattle to obtain Matsui.

Matsui is a slow starter (and this year, really slow) and I'm not sure he would want the kind of pressure that playing in NY would bring. Seattle is a lot more forgiving, especially since we have had the mediocre Carlos Guillen at short. So I think it will boil down to either L.A. or Seattle as far as where he ultimately ends up.
[ Author: Guest: cyril | Posted: Jul 11, 2003 12:26 AM ]

I wouldn't call Guillen mediocre, his numbers are above average for a shortstop. But in comparison to A-Rod, Nomar, Tejada, and even Jeter, his numbers do seem rather pathetic.

As a Mets' fan I would hope they go after him, and move Reyes to 2B. Interim GM Duquette has mentioned an interest in greater Japanese interaction, and Mike Piazza would be a defensive liability at 1B, so switching Reyes to 2B would have its advantages. The Mets should also have around $40 million available for free agents after this year.
[ Author: Guest: Mork | Posted: Jul 21, 2003 4:00 PM ]

There are a lot of Yankees fans (including me) hoping that Jeter will be moved to 3B next season, and that the club will pick up someone less defensively-challenged to play SS. Hopefully, that is where Kaz Matsui fits into the team's thinking (if the rumor has any basis at all).
[ Author: Guest: yanks18207 | Posted: Jul 22, 2003 7:19 AM ]

- There are a lot of Yankees fans (including me) hoping that Jeter will be moved to 3B next season, and that the club will pick up someone less defensively-challenged to play SS.

Dude. What kind of crack are you on? Next time you make a stupid comment like that, check your facts first. Of the four big-name shortstops in the MLB, Jeter, Tejada, Nomar, and A-Rod, Jeter has the best career fielding percentage, converting .975% of his plays. As opposed to Tejada's .970%, Nomar's .967, and A-Rod's .954%. Last time I checked, making .975% is an incredible accomplishment, in-so-much as it is only 4 points lower than the career percent of the "Iron Man" Cal Ripken Jr.'s .979%, not to mention only 3 points lower than "The Wizard" Ozzie Smith's .978%, who is probably the best fielding shortstop of all-time.

Also, am I the only person who remembers the 2001 ALDS? Well, let me remind everybody. Jeremy Giambi, rounding third base, with Shane Spencer firing the ball home from the right field foul line, the ball sails over both Martinez's and Soriano's head. The ball is off target, and Posada is not going to be able to make the play. But then Jeter appears from nowhere and makes "The Play" cutting down Giambi and preserving the Moose's shutout. Thus, the Yankees win Game 3 and subsequently the series against the A's.

So I think it has been pretty clearly established that Jeter is by no means defensively challenged. As well, he is the Yankees' shortstop for the long haul, or at least until he is 36 when his contract expires in 2010.

As for there being no room for Kaz Matsui, that is also incorrect, since 3B is clearly a dilemma for the Yankees. Ventura just turned 36 earlier this month and is obviously not a long term solution. Zeile is going to turn 38 shortly before the post-season this year; again, not a long-term solution. As for Enrique, he's more of a back-up infielder, like Luis Sojo was in previous championships (now there's a player the Yankees should bring back, no one came through more in clutch situations than him), and by no means an everyday starter. Also all three are in major slumps now. Their minor league attempts were both busts. Neither Drew Henson nor to a lesser degree Erick Almonte are ready for the majors. That is why they used their first round draft pick on Eric Duncan who is supposed to be a good third baseman. However he won't be ready for a couple of years.

This whole mess could have been avoided as well if the Yankees didn't trade away a prospect by the name of Mike Lowell back in February of 1999, especially since the main player they got in return was Ed Yarnall who was a complete bust as well.

So that leaves a big hole which possible could be filled by Kaz Matsui.

One last point. If Kaz does arrive in pinstripes, it would be stupid to move Soriano to the outfield and put Kaz at second base. There are several reasons for this. The first of which is he is finally getting somewhat comfortable at second base. Secondly, a fact that few seem to acknowledge, is that the Yankees already have a solid outfield. Godzilla has well exceeded his fielding expectations, particularly because they weren't expecting much fielding from him anyway. Bernie has the arm of a left fielder and a switch between Godzilla and Bernie might be imminent, since Hideki has proven his ability to play center field. While Bernie's knees are catching up to him and he's starting to lose his range, he will still have enough range for left field. Let's not forget Mondesi, who is one of the best fielders in the league. Mondesi has rifle for an arm, and has great range for a right fielder. Even if Mondesi is gone next year, you know the Yankees will just import another superstar, with names such as Beltran, Giles, and Vlad up in the air.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 23, 2003 7:13 AM ]

Jeter is solid and untouchable as the Yankee shortstop, but there are two possibilities that Brian Cashman is looking at: Ventura and Zeile may not be back next year because of their age, and Mondesi will probably go somewhere else when be becomes a free agent at the end of the season. This leaves two possibilities for Kaz: Become the Yankee third baseman, or the Yankee second baseman with Soriano going to right field.

Nothing is for sure, and there are other possibilities like Karim Garcia playing right field, and the Boss buying a new third baseman from another MLB team, but the possibility of having Kaz in pinstripes is certainly there.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Jul 23, 2003 11:37 PM | HT Fan ]

- This leaves two possibilities for Kaz: Become the Yankee third baseman, or the Yankee second baseman with Soriano going to right field.

Nothing is for sure, and there are other possibilities like Karim Garcia playing right field, and the Boss buying a new third baseman from another MLB team, but the possibility of having Kaz in pinstripes is certainly there.

Assuming Kazuo would be willing to switch positions, which is a pretty big assumption, especially with Seattle's and LA's apparent holes at short.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jul 24, 2003 11:58 AM ]

I think there would be two issues that would be huge for any Yankee bid for K. Matsui:
  1. his apparent desire to stay at shortstop, already discussed; and
  2. if he goes to the Yanks, even if he moved, there'd be a good chance of a significant controversy over whether he or Jeter should play short.

He'd already have the significant issue of adjusting to the majors, and I can't see him wanting this headache on top of that absent a Yankee bid that blows everybody else away. With Steinbrenner's history, such a bid is possible, but I have my doubts it will happen. After all, George wasn't a player in the A-Rod sweepstakes a few years back. Much as I like little Matsui, I don't see him being in A-Rod's class.

Jim Albright

[ Author: btimmer | Posted: Jul 25, 2003 1:26 AM ]

I think Derek Jeter will only move from shortstop to another position in the field if he volunteers. Jeter is the team captain of the Yankees and is immensely popular in New York - out of proportion to his talent, which is considerable.

Soriano could be moved to the outfield, although he probably doesn't hit well enough to occupy a corner outfield position. But he is better than Mondesi.

The Dodgers, if they signed Matsui, would probably put him at short. With their anemic offense, they really can't afford to keep the second coming of Ray Oyler, Cesar Izturis, at shortstop.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 25, 2003 12:28 PM ]

- Soriano could be moved to the outfield, although he probably doesn't hit well enough to occupy a corner outfield position. But he is better than Mondesi.

Wait a minute, are you trying to say that Soriano doesn't have good enough offensive stats to be playing on a corner of the outfield? The last time I checked, he was batting close to .290 with over 20 home runs and over 20-something steals. If I recall correctly, he was just one home run short to becoming the 6th(?) player to fall in the elite group that has had a 40 HR - 40 steals season.

Doesn't hit well enough for a corner outfield position?

Soriano's offensive stats are better than not only most of the corner outfielders in the league, but also better than the first basemen.
[ Author: btimmer | Posted: Jul 26, 2003 4:38 AM ]

I don't project Soriano getting better because of his strike zone judgment.

But he is better than Mondesi and the other right fielders the Yankees have been trotting out there this year.
[ Author: btimmer | Posted: Jul 26, 2003 8:36 AM ]

Sorry for replying to myself, but just after watching 1 inning of the Yankees and Red Sox, it seems that the Yankees would benefit from having Soriano in center field and Williams over in one of the corner spots.

Would Hideki Matsui be able to handle RF? He doesn't have the greatest arm, but Williams' is worse.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 26, 2003 3:50 PM ]

Matsui should be able to handle right field. He has some experience in right field. If I am not mistaken, at least two years of experience at center with the Yomiuri Giants. He was moved to center field when Takahashi Yoshinobu came in as a rookie.

You are right about his arm not being that great, but he does have good control on his throws.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Jul 25, 2003 5:15 AM ]

I think Matsui is better off going to the Mariners where he can replace Carlos Guillen. Nomar, Jeter, and A-Rod are untouchable, unless Boston lets Nomar go to California which his jock-wife Mia Hamm wants.
Jetes is a Great Player, but ...
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Jul 25, 2003 5:33 AM ]

Hey dude, I think even the fans in NY agree that Jeter is "so-so" defensively. If what you say is right, then Mike and the Mda dog are on crack, too. I don't think it was a stupid comment. It's just a fact.

What makes Jetes special is not his defensive prowess or his offensive stats, but his intangible ability to lead the team to victory.
[ Author: Guest: Beltranfan | Posted: Jul 26, 2003 12:02 AM ]

What? Are you crazy? Jeter's going to stay at short. He's still young and he has no reason to move to third when George can find someone to play that position.
[ Author: Guest: MIke | Posted: Oct 6, 2003 8:14 AM ]

It is insane to even thinking of Jeter moving to third. As a BoSox fan, I must admit my insatiable detest toward the Yankees. I also do think that Nomar is a better ballplayer than Jeter (this is just my perspective as a Bostonian, but out of the big three, A-Rod is clearly the best one). However, Jeter is a very solid shortstop who can make great defensive stops. Mind I also remind you that Jeter is the captain? To move Jeter to third is like placing Pedro to bullpen. I would think that Jeter would be greatly insulted if he does get converted from short to third.
[ Author: Guest: Taro | Posted: Aug 1, 2003 4:19 PM ]

As far as the Yankees aquiring K. Matsui, its just not happening (especially after they got Aaron Boone to play third).

Edgar is only being paid $4 million this year, so there won't neccesarily be a huge amount to spend after he leaves. However, I believe the Mariners are the only profitable team in the Major Leagues, and they could be spending a lot of money anyways. The only time the cheap owners spend money is on Japanese players. So I wouldn't be suprised if Matsui goes to Seattle.
[ Author: btimmer | Posted: Aug 2, 2003 1:15 AM ]

With Boone's acquisition to play third, I also don't foresee any spot on the Yankees for Matsui.

Jeter is the franchise, so he plays where he wants to. And Torre seems to love Soriano, despite the fact that he may not get a lot better than he is now (although he is very good).

If Boone bombs in New York, which could very well happen, then the Yankees might get back into the K. Matsui bidding.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 2, 2003 5:08 AM ]

Today's edition of the New York Times (8/1/2003) states that the Yankees are set in getting Kaz for the 2004 season. The way the article goes is: Aaron Boone will only play in the Bronx for the rest of this season as next year he will be eligible for arbitration and the Yankees would probably only keep him if they cannot come to terms with Kazuo. The idea, according to the New York media is to put Kaz on third base, and the NY Yankees are confident that they would top any offer from a Japanese ball club or any U.S. west coast team (Kaz will be a free agent after this season). The Yankees are the best business organization in baseball (just look at their revenues from T.V. and merchandise) and they believe that this would also appeal to Kaz better than playing in a small market like Seattle, where most games are played after most Americans went to bed in the eastern and central time zones.

The article goes on to call Kazuo the best player in Japan right now. This article was reported in the 8/2 edition of the Japan Times as well.

I personally would love to see him in pinstripes if he decides to move to MLB.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Aug 2, 2003 8:47 AM | HT Fan ]

- The idea, according to the New York media is to put Kaz on third base, and the NY Yankees are confident that they would top any offer from a Japanese ball club or any U.S. west coast team (Kaz will be a free agent after this season).

The arrogance of the NY media astounds me. Kazuo has played SS his whole career, yet they assume he'd be willing to change positions to play for the Yankees rather than play short for Seattle or Los Angeles or Chicago or San Francisco or... Besides, I doubt the Yankees gave up Claussen for a two-month rental.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 2, 2003 2:33 PM | YBS Fan ]

This is that part I find humorous:

[...] this would also appeal to Kaz better than playing in a small market like Seattle, where most games are played after most Americans went to bed in the eastern and central time zones.

After most Americans have gone to bed in other time zones? What would Matsui care about that for? Besides, the Yankees do play against those same "small market" teams. Do New Yorkers just go to bed and wait to see what the Times writes in the morning?

As it is, many Japanese wake up at 3:00 in the morning to watch Ichiro and/or Matsui. He knows that if he does well, he'll have the same kind of following no matter what time zone he's playing in. The Japanese market is the one he's really playing for. The author really needs to view the situation from this side of the Pacific.

Besides, didn't K. Matsui say that he wanted to go to a west coast team? I'm sure I've read that somewhere. Why would the Yankees even think that their bid will matter? Sure, money will most likely play a role in luring Matsui to where he eventually goes. But this isn't a closed bid posting. He's free to make his choice on a number of personal conditions, not just who will pay the most and/or give him the shortstop position. Environment will also a major factor in his choice, and while I'm sure that New Yorkers think that they've got a great environment, it may or may not be the environment Matsui is looking for. Having stated "west coast," I'm thinking that Matsui's idea of a good environment is sunshine and palm trees. All in all, indications so far weigh heavier to the west coast than the east coast.

[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 5, 2003 2:12 AM ]

It is very important for your success in MLB to play in the right market. It's a matter of economics. You see, although sponsors pay for the west coast games, they pay less money, because most people live on the east coast and central time markets, and most people go to bed (some may stay up until 1:00 AM to watch the Yankees, Red Sox, and others, but most don't).

It is a fact that most Americans don't know much about All-Star MVP Garrett Anderson who plays with the Angels, because most of his games against east coast teams start at 10:05 PM (Eastern time) and he plays in Orange County, not a small market like Seattle. This is important for players as they want the teams to want them, and the teams want those players that are popular, and those players that are popular get the All-Star votes from the most fans, and those players that are popular (and play when most of the media is awake) get the better reviews and become "real" to the fans, instead of a "legend" that most Americans never saw during the regluar season, as is was the case of Manuel Tejada when he won the MVP last year. Not everybody stays up to watch games like you or me, and it is these not-hardcore-fans that they are targeting when they make the money decisions.

By the way, there are no palm trees in foggy and rainy (almost-never-suny) Seattle.
[ Author: Guest: cyril | Posted: Aug 2, 2003 4:34 PM ]

I think there are fallacies to moving Kaz to third base. Traditionally, the 3B prototype is a power hitter, which Kaz probably won't be as we can see from the drop off in home runs in Hideki Matsui. In addition, if the Yankees fail to keep Boone, they might be better off going after Mike Lowell.

It would also be a waste to move him defensively to third base. Fielding percentage is generally one of the poorest indicators of defensive ability. It's possible for Jason Giambi to get as good numbers as Jeter while playing first, as long as he gets all the balls that go straight at him, and ignore all the rest. So Kaz would be a definite upgrade.
[ Author: btimmer | Posted: Aug 3, 2003 3:41 PM ]

If one assumes that K. Matsui would hit fewer home runs than H. Matsui, it would be safe to assume that K. Matsui won't produce enough to play third base.

If he were to play another position, second base would be a better idea. Soriano is showing more and more that he is not a very good second baseman. And he's been dropped down to the #7 or #8 slot in the lineup by Torre as he is in an extended slump.

It is funny that the New York papers automatically assume that the Yankees will sign any player they want.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Aug 3, 2003 11:47 PM ]

- If one assumes that K. Matsui would hit fewer home runs than H. Matsui, it would be safe to assume that K. Matsui won't produce enough to play third base.

Actually, if you believe my 2003 possibles projection, Kazuo Matsui and A. Boone are very similar in production. Of course, Hideki Matsui, at present, looks to be hitting about 75% of the HR I would have expected. Either way, I think it overstates the case that K. Matsui wouldn't produce enough to play at third. I certainly agree it isn't the best use of his talents.

It is amusing that NY papers think the Yankees will sign any player they want, but there is Steinbrenner's history of doing quite well that way, though perhaps by overpaying for players. I think that's the only way they'll get K. Matsui -- by overpaying him.

Jim Albright
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Aug 4, 2003 12:55 PM | HT Fan ]

- [...] there is Steinbrenner's history of doing quite well that way, though perhaps by overpaying for players. I think that's the only way they'll get K. Matsui -- by overpaying him.

Not everyone can be bought. John Smoltz turned down more money from the Yankees to stay with Atlanta, for instance, because he didn't want to move his family to NY. I agree with Westbay-san; Kazuo's decision will be influenced by a number of factors, and I think the Yanks would fall short despite George's big wallet.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 6, 2003 10:00 PM ]

I think the main factor will be in Matsui's desire to remain a shortstop.

Jeter may not be the "best" defensive SS, but he certainly is better than average. Soriano may move to the OF, but that will happen only if the Yankees fail in getting Vladimir Guerrero which has been their target longer than Kaz Matsui.

Besides, I think the Yankees are happy with their Godzilla Matsui. The Yankees just want to make sure they scout all players because, when they did not bid for Ichiro and he became a MLB All-Star, the Boss let his staff have it.
Kaz
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Jul 23, 2003 11:48 AM ]

I still wonder what the obsession is with shortening "Kazuo" to "Kaz." "Kazuhiro" I can somewhat see, especially with newspapers where print space is precious. But it's not like that's even a common Japanese nickname. Weird.
[ Author: Guest: Jen Wei | Posted: Aug 2, 2003 3:33 PM ]

If Kazuo plays in MLB, he will not the first Japanese infielder (pitcher excluded) because in 1999, Masato Yoshii (Blue Wave) had played catcher for the Mets.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Aug 3, 2003 10:09 AM ]

The above statement is dead wrong. There is no way that Yoshii played catcher for the Mets. That's like saying that Nomo played a game at shortstop for the Dodgers.

Besides, catchers aren't considered infielders. There are outfielders, infielders, and then pitchers and catchers.

If Masato Yoshii played even an inning at catcher for the Mets, then pigs fly.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Aug 4, 2003 8:11 AM ]

I believe the Mets had a Japanese bullpen catcher for a while, but I can't remember his name. Perhaps Jen is thinking of that fellow.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 6, 2003 9:51 PM ]

Please get the facts right. Yoshii is a pitcher. The only infielder I remember is Lenny Sakata who, I think, was a 2nd or 3rd generation Japanese.
[ Author: benjees | Posted: Aug 6, 2003 12:45 PM ]

Even as the biggest Red Sox fan around, as I am (really, if anyone ever told you they were the biggest Sox fan ever, they lied to you), I insist you don't get too worked up about Steinbrenner building an "unfair" team. I know it, everyone knows it, and it's frustrating. It's just the nature of the game, though, and the No-salary-cap MLB is all about stocking up with as much high-priced talent as you can. Even in the unlikely event Kaz does end up in New York, it won't be anything new.
[ Author: BSO_Cards | Posted: Aug 8, 2003 8:59 AM ]

According to Baseball Prospectus, Jeter was the 2nd worst defensive shortstop in MLB last season. His range is absolutly horrible. Sure he can field what he can get, but the thing is, he can't get much! I think that if the Yankees get Matsui next season, they'd be better off with him at short, Jeter at 3rd, Boone at 2nd, and Soriano in center.
[ Author: Guest: no | Posted: Aug 8, 2003 5:05 PM ]

I totally agree with you that they would build up a dream team with K. Matsui at short, Jeter at 3rd, Boone at 2nd, and Soriano in center, William in left, Ichiro in right, Giambi at First, Gozila as DH, and Abe as a catcher!

Wow, I am dreaming.
[ Author: Guest: Jen Wei | Posted: Aug 9, 2003 12:03 AM ]

Of course this is a Super Team. But Jorge Posada still is a Great Catcher. Don't forget he is an All-Star player! And Kazuo Matzui can play solid at second base or shortstop!
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Aug 8, 2003 11:21 PM ]

I absolutely agree with you. Jeter is a god here in New York, but "god with a horrible defense." Don't take me wrong, Jeter is a great player. He is the leader and the captain. So was Ted Williams and Stan Musial who were both defensive liabilities. Kazuo-chan will definitely make a better shortstop.
[ Author: InterestedAmericanObserver | Posted: Oct 7, 2003 1:07 AM ]

I have to defer to Bill James' ideas about fielding percentage: It's total bull. Errors are a very subjective thing, and it's hard to say what play a player should make and what play they shouldnt. Tejada and Nomar make more errors than Jeter not because they're worse, but because they have better range! Thus, they get to harder balls, and have more chances for errors. And their chances are harder than Jeters' are.
[ Author: Guest: guest da | Posted: Oct 13, 2003 1:38 AM ]

Would you rather have Steinbrenner pocket the money and just be another Republican billionaire? Right.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 27, 2003 1:09 AM ]

- Would you rather have Steinbrenner pocket the money and just be another Republican billionaire? Right.

Here's a dirty little secret: There's more billionaire Democrats than Republicans.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Nov 25, 2003 8:38 AM ]

-- Would you rather have Steinbrenner pocket the money and just be another Republican billionaire? Right.

- Here's a dirty little secret: There's more billionaire Democrats than Republicans.

That's a joke! Why would a billionaire be anything other than a Republican as the Republican agenda includes such things as tax cuts to the rich! I want statistics, or at least a very good source on this!
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 26, 2003 12:37 AM ]

Let's not go there -- this forum is about Japanese baseball, not economics, American class/financial structures, or American politics.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.