Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Matsuzaka/S.Y. Lee Draw Heavy Interest from MLB

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Matsuzaka/S.Y. Lee Draw Heavy Interest from MLB
Yahoo! News has a great article that was posted today by Jeff Passan that talks about how much interest MLB teams have in Matsuzaka. Passan lists the top free-agents this off-season in MLB, and surprisingly, Seung-Yeop Lee is no. 9 on the list. Guess who's no. 1 on the list? Yup, it's Matsuzaka. He'll likely end up with the Yankees unfortunately.
Comments
Re: Matsuzaka/S.Y. Lee Draw Heavy Interest from MLB
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jul 16, 2006 3:16 AM | SFT Fan ]

- He'll likely end up with the Yankees unfortunately.

Can you really be so sure that Seattle will let the Yankees outbid them for Matsuzaka? Yes, the Yankees might have more money, but Seattle has a bigger influence in Japan being owned by Nintendo. There's also a good chance he could be in Seattle come 2008.

Though, I still doubt Seibu will post him, as he's the face of the organization, and Matsuzaka said earlier that he wouldn't try anymore with the posting system.

I understand the financial losses for Seibu if they allow him to walk. But still, that doesn't convince me that they will post him, when they have shunned him every time. What is so different now?

Plus, Matsuzaka has given up his desire to go to the majors [Japan Ball] last October. He said he will just wait to become a free agent after the 2008 season.

To, Seung-Yeop Lee, the time is better than ever for Lee to jump to the majors now. Plus, Yomiuri has been mentioned to be interested in free agent third baseman Michihiro Ogasawara as they also see Lee trying for a shot at the majors. The Yankees, though, are interested in Lee, and could end up signing him.
Re: Matsuzaka/S.Y. Lee Draw Heavy Interest from MLB
[ Author: Guest: HIP2BL7 | Posted: Oct 28, 2006 2:46 AM ]

Seung-Yeop Lee looks to be staying in Japan for the 2007 season as he has reportedly agreed to terms with the Yomiuri Giants on a one year deal for 300 million (3-oku) yen, a 160 million (1.6-oku) yen raise over last year. Lee apparently has some unfinished business in Japan as he wants his manager, Tatsunori Hara, to have a championship before he leaves for the U.S. Honestly Lee should be commended for this as he surely would have gotten more money in the Majors.

As for Matsuzaka, he'll command over 20 million dollars just be posted and another 40 million dollars plus from the team that wins the Matsuzaka sweepstakes. The Yankees and Mariners have to be the front runners while the Mets, Padres, and Cubs are likely to throw their hats in the ring too. My money's on the Yankees.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.