Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Seibu's Shinji Mori Wants to be Posted

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Seibu's Shinji Mori Wants to be Posted
The April 1st paper edition of Nikkan Sports (couldn't find it on their web site - and, no, we don't do "April Fools" jokes in Japan) states that Seibu Lions' middle relief ace Shinji Mori has requested to be posted at the end of this season. He said that he wanted a chance to play at a higher level before he turned 30 and it would be too late. (He turns 30 in September of 2004.)

The article notes that Mori was concerned about Ohtsuka's not getting any bids and subsequently being traded to Chunichi. But it hasn't changed his desire to attempt a posting.

Against Daiei last night, Mori threw a perfect 8th inning, striking out two of the three Hawks he faced.
Comments
Re: Seibu's Shinji Mori Wants to be Posted
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Apr 1, 2003 8:38 AM | HT Fan ]

Can anyone describe his stuff, e.g. pitch types, velocity, etc.?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 1, 2003 11:49 AM | YBS Fan ]

Throws a 150kph straight and has good drop on his fork. Nikkan reports that he also developed a two-seam fastball this season.

As you can see from his stats, he threw in 71 games last season for 78 1/3 innings, so he hasn't been getting abused.

I'll enter his remaining missing stats this evening.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Apr 1, 2003 12:44 PM | HT Fan ]

Let's see ... 3.19 ERA ... 1.22 WHIP ... .249 BAA ... 10.90 K/9 ... 3.22 K/BB ... definitely some potential here.
Correction
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Apr 1, 2003 12:55 PM | HT Fan ]

Sorry, those number are off -- spreadsheet error. More like 3.34 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, .266 BAA, 10.28 K/9, 2.86 K/B. Not bad, but not as good as I first thought.
[ Author: Dusanh | Posted: Apr 3, 2003 6:04 PM ]

The 150 kph fastball seems like his personal best or something. From what I've seen of him on Seibu's webcast, it averages around 145 kph on a good day.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.