Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Shinjo Signs with Mets

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Shinjo Signs with Mets
ESPN confirmed that Shinjo signed with the Mets for the second time, this contract worth $600k.

As a Mets fan, I like this deal, as Shinjo can make a good defensive replacement for Cedeno in the later innings. Plus, as a fan of Pro Yakyu, its fun to see one of it's alumns on my team.

Any thoughts?
Comments
Re: Shinjo Signs with Mets
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Jan 12, 2003 10:35 PM ]

I think Shinjo is a decent enough hitter (and excellent enough fielder) that he could be a full-time center fielder on a Major League team -- if that team could afford to have a primarily defensive center fielder. Unfortunately, injuries and other factors have kept him for nailing that regular job. But if you put him in center and he plays 140-150 games, I think he'll give you a .260-.270 BA with around 15 HRs, and that's not too bad for a center fielder with Shinjo's defense.

Looking at the Mets' outfield, I think they should put Shinjo in center, Floyd in right, and then deal Cedeno and Burnitz for a decent left-fielder.
Re: Shinjo Signs with Mets
[ Author: InterestedAmericanObserver | Posted: Jan 13, 2003 2:32 AM ]

I think the Mets should platoon Timo Perez and Shinjo in CF, and possibly put Cedeno in left with Floyd in right. I don't like Burnitz in NY. Another deal is imminent, so we'll see.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.