Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Cox to the BayStars?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Cox to the BayStars?
Hi,

Can anyone confirm this? Is Steve Cox really heading to Yokohama? And does anyone know the details of the transaction?

Thanks! This move certainly comes as a bit of a surprise...
Comments
Re: Cox to the BayStars?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 4, 2002 11:26 PM | YBS Fan ]

A Google search turned up this Nikkan Sports article (in Japanese) stating that something was going to be announced on December 3rd. Checking the paper version today (December 4), it says that Cox is expected to enter negotiations any day now.

A member of Yokohama's front office was quoted as saying, "A mail was recieved regarding trade money from the Devil Rays. After that, it's negotiating with [Cox] himself." Translator Furukawa is in the U.S. right now and appears to have reported that Cox wants a 3 year 10-oku yen deal.

Now, before you ask, no, I don't know if he's being traded. And if so, if it was requested on his part or not. I'm just translating what little information is available to me. Read into it what you will.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 4, 2002 11:32 PM ]

Thank you, westbay-san!
[ Author: RedArt | Posted: Dec 5, 2002 6:37 AM ]

Picked this up at rotoworld.com today:
The Yokohama Bay Stars of Japan's Central League have talked to the Rays about buying the rights to Steve Cox.
Cox might be interested in going to Japan, as Yokohama is reportedly willing to give him a three-year, $7.2 million contract. If he stays with the Rays, Cox, who is eligible for arbitration for the first time, would probably make just over $1 million in 2003.
[ Author: Giants | Posted: Dec 11, 2002 10:19 AM ]

The deal was finalized today but he still has to clear waivers from MLB teams.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 11, 2002 9:06 PM ]

Just out of curiosity, is anybody else wondering why Theo Epstein (to name just one potentially interested party) wouldn't jump in with a waiver claim? Slary considerations aren't all that prohibitive, and Cox looked awfully good at times last season...
[ Author: Giants | Posted: Dec 12, 2002 8:23 AM ]

Arlo-san is right. It makes you wonder why teams won't pick him up. As I said in the Cabrera/Petangine article, lots of teams need a first baseman and he would have batted much better if he wasn't injured.
[ Author: YanksRays | Posted: Dec 11, 2002 2:14 PM ]

It seems much to my dismay that my favorite Tampa Bay Devil Ray will be coming to your fine city. I hope that you treat him well because he is a gentleman and quite nice to his fans. He takes his time meeting them and signing autographs and my family will miss him. He had a slight heal injury but still hit 16 homeruns and knocked in 72 runs. He will do more. If he clears waivers in the next two days he is yours. Foolishness and FINANCIAL considerations caused this.

With your permission I would love to be able to post on this forum and follow Steve's career and be a Yokohama Bay Stars fan.
[ Author: RedArt | Posted: Dec 12, 2002 3:56 AM ]

I think Epstein would love to have Cox, but I am not sure he would flout another team by claiming him. It is just one of those things that isn't done, kind of like a "post trade deadline" waiver wire trade. If TB has a deal with a Japanese team to take Cox, other GM's won't step on toes by claiming the guy. It would hurt the relationship with other MLB GM's plus hurt the relationship with Japanese teams.
[ Author: kojaxs | Posted: Dec 14, 2002 9:28 AM | TYS Fan ]

Also based on what I've rerad in the papers it seems like Cox requested the move to Japan. So if a Major League GM picked Cox up they'd end up with a player that doesn't want to be there.
[ Author: Guest: basefan | Posted: Dec 14, 2002 4:01 PM ]

If the BayStars are so positive Cox is the answer, then why would they go out and sign Woods from Korea. Sometimes I don't think the BayStars really know what they want or need. They need to focus on changing up their domestic players. Make some key moves on that end.
Building Teams to Fit
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 14, 2002 8:57 PM | YBS Fan ]

Sometimes I don't think the BayStars really know what they want or need.

It seems like that with a number of teams. Why does Hiroshima focus on speed instead of power? With the smallest stadium (or is Jingu smaller?) in the Central League, a moderate power hitter could really make a bid for the home run title. The last Carp to have taken the title was Etoh (now with the Giants) in 1995 and 1993.

Yakult, on the other hand, has been pretty good at finding a power hitter to fit Jingu.

Pretty much most teams, Yokohama included, seem to think that getting a super suketto (foreign "helper") is the magic ingredient to success. The Giants won last season without any key foreign players, but still aquired one that they didn't need mid-season as they thought that it was necessary. If teams would stop worrying about finding the perfect suketto and concentrate on filling their holes with any player, foreign or domestic, then they'd be in better shape.

As for Yokohama, they've got a new owner. TBS didn't make any sweeping changes their first year, thinking it best to leave the team structure mostly in tact, run mostly by people with experience. But change is on the way. Not only has Mori-kantoku been released a year early, but I believe that the current club president will be replaced in March 2003. Expect even more front office changes at the same time. The front office changes come a little late to impact the 2003 signings too much. I'll guess that if any change in thought were to come about, it'll be after the 2003 season.
Re: Building Teams to Fit
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Dec 15, 2002 5:54 PM ]

It could be that having a foreign player is just considered "joushiki" (which can be translated as either "common sense" or "the accepted way of doing things"). Your point is well taken. The the Andy Sheets acquisition was a bit of a puzzler to me. I guess they are just so disenchanted with what they're getting out of Higashide that they went after Andy. Who knows, maybe he'll become the next Bobby Rose. He'll at least be the next Bart Shirley :P

The Tyrone Woods acquisition was totally unnecessary unless they were looking for injury insurance. Woods got off to a really slow start in the KBO last season and there was some talk of releasing him at that time, so I suspect that Woods is likely to open the season at ni-gun.
Re: Tyrone Woods
[ Author: Guest: Woods Fan | Posted: Jun 23, 2003 2:35 PM ]

FYI,

Woods has stayed healthy 95% of his career, and has displayed great numbers for the last five years. As far as the talk about Doosan considering releasing Woods, your information is incorrect. Woods released Doosan!

... Wait a minute. Are we talking about the same Woods (Tyrone)? Tyrone Woods who is leading the Central League in home runs, has played since opening day, and now is covering Steve Cox position at first base as well as covering another position (right field)? And if my information is correct, looks to me that this guy is not minor league material.
[ Author: RAYZPHAN | Posted: Dec 15, 2002 12:05 AM ]

Steve Cox going to Japan to play came as quite a diappointment to me, as a Devil Rays fan, but it has sparked an interest for me regarding Japanese baseball.

First of all, Steve seemed to be a fan favorite here. He was not one that any Devil Ray fan wanted to get rid of, and according to an article in the paper last week, he is very happy and excited about playing in Japan.

I am left wondering how can I keep up on what is going on with him. I hear very little about Japanese baseball here, don't really know your teams, and surely not your players. I would be interested in corresponding with someone in Japan who is a fan there like I am here. I am a fan of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, even though they don't seem too good, and I collect baseball cards and memoriabilia. I have always been impressed with Japanese culture and how disipline and respect is so important. I am curious how much Japanese fans know about American baseball.

I have questions, and can be reached at ROBANDCANDI at peoplepc dot com.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Jun 26, 2003 12:02 PM ]

I'm a Devil Rays fan also, I guess it's because I live in their AAA town.

Devil Rays' general manager, Chuck Lamar, is one of the worst in the MLB. He didn't feel Steve was worth the contract he was seeking, so he let him go. The Devil Rays have signed bunch of has-been players and waste money on them, but why not on Steve Cox who's only 27 and will be a good player for as least another 10 years?

I hope the best for Steve, he's a class act player and I hope he will get a chance to play in MLB again.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.