Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yokohama Pursuing Nori

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Yokohama Pursuing Nori
It looks like the Big Leagues won't be the only ones pursuing Kintetsu's big slugging free agent Nakamura Norihiro this off season. Today's (August 27) Nikkan Sports' front page declares that TBS will be going all out to try to pursuade the 5 consecutive year 30+ home run batter to come to Yokohama next season.

And Yokohama really needs a clean up batter who can clean up. So far this season, 7 players have started in the number four position in the lineup, hitting a total of 14 of Yokohama's 71 home runs. Nakamura (30) and Rhodes (41) combine for that number by themselves for Kintetsu.

The Dodgers and Mets, both of whom are interested in Nakamura, can expect some domestic competition for this big slugger this off season.
Comments
Re: Yokohama Pursuing Nori
[ Author: morosuki | Posted: Aug 27, 2002 3:44 PM | YOK Fan ]

I thought Nakamura was a lock for the YG uniform. With Godzilla leaving, they're gonna need someone (with pop in his bat and superstar status) to fill in. It would be nice if the stars do get him though.

morosuki
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 27, 2002 10:38 PM | YBS Fan ]

I know. The Giants bid on every big free agent. So are they going to dump Etoh or Kiyohara for Nakamura like they dumped Ochiai for Kiyohara a few years ago?
[ Author: baseclip | Posted: Aug 30, 2002 12:55 PM ]

Etoh would probably be the top candidate to get dumped off. He is struggling this season, and is a slow runner who cannot field well. However Kiyohara has a big resemblance in the clubhouse, and his possiblities of getting released are pretty low, statiscally too.
[ Author: morosuki | Posted: Aug 30, 2002 4:25 PM | YOK Fan ]

One of my freinds read something in the sports shinbun (he can't remember which one) the other day that had a scenario about Nori and the Giants. His interpretation was that if Matsui were to leave would the Giants vigirously attempt to sign Nori. If Matsui does leave and Nori signed, Etoh would probably go to Orix. Upon hearing this, I was wondering if the writer of the article was thinking of Shindoh. I believe Shindoh wanted to be a teammate of Etoh when the Baystars were actively pursuing him before he went on to sign with the Kyojin. Anyway, enough of my rambling!

morosuki
Shindoh and Etoh
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 30, 2002 6:58 PM | YBS Fan ]

- Upon hearing this, I was wondering if the writer of the article was thinking of Shindoh. I believe Shindoh wanted to be a teammate of Etoh when the Baystars were actively pursuing him ...

Actually, I was under the impression that Shindoh was remaining tollerant with the Stars' front office as they were pursuing Etoh to take over his spot. This being after Shindoh had already said that he wasn't going to declare free agency, thinking that his spot on the team was a shoe in. What I remember was Shindoh being sure that he could still win the position even if Etoh joined. In that sense, and to add power to the lineup, he welcomed Etoh to the team.

Etoh is from Yamato (near the Atsugi U.S. Naval Air Station for you former millitary readers) and was torn between signing with Yokohama or Yomiuri, as they were so close to home. (I don't know why the birds of Jingu weren't considered by that logic.) I was under the impression that his father was a big Giants' fan (typical of his generation), and Etoh was a Yokohama fan growing up.

I may be completely wrong about all of the above.

Three years ago, Etoh would have been a big boost to the 'Stars. Now, I'd feel like he were just used scraps falling from the Giants' table should we (BayStars) go after him. And I can't help but worry that Mori will go after him for his reputation of 5 to 10 years ago.

On a side note, I'm really worried that Suzuki and Ishii will both be looking to rediscover the joy of baseball away from Mori-kantoku. Neither appears to be having as much fun on the fields since Mori took over. Unless we can pull Nori out of a hat, I don't look forward to this off season for Yokohama.
Re: Shindoh and Etoh
[ Author: morosuki | Posted: Sep 1, 2002 4:43 PM | YOK Fan ]

Westbay-san,

You said it all with that last paragragh. Mori-kantoku has actually affected all the "original" 'Stars. Especially Saeki.

Koko dake no Hanashi - I was actually hoping the front office would have let him loose after this terrible season.

morosuki
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.