Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Who are the best hitters not named Matsui?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Who are the best hitters not named Matsui?
Please elaborate w/ stats if possible. Thanks...
Comments
Re: Who are the best hitters not named Matsui?
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Aug 2, 2002 7:51 AM ]

Well, first let me just say, "Damn! Matsui Hideki is having a hell of a year!" Dingers, ribbies, and average. I used to think that Matsui was good but Ichiro was better. Now I'm thinking Matsui just may be the best hitter in NPB.

But, back to the question at hand. After Matsui, I think you have to bring up Ogasawara Michihiro. The American announcers would butcher his name, but this guy can hit, and I've always thought he carried himself like a Major Leaguer, too. Maybe it's just the goatee.

For stats, you have to look at NPB's official site. The English version is here. A quick glance at the league leaders will show you that Ogasawara's number one in: (deep breath) hits (109), average (.356), total bases (206), on-base percentage (.443) and slugging percentage (.673). Thus, he leads the Japanese leagues with a 1116 OPS. He's also second in both walks and intentional walks. Just another fantastic year for Ogasawara to go with his 2000 and 2001 campaigns.

You might want to check out this thread, where I gave my take on a Japanese All-Star team. Then check out the NPB's site to check the stats for yourself.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.