Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kenji Jojima

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Kenji Jojima
For those who haven't seen this yet, Wayne Graczyk wrote an excellent article on Kenji a couple of weeks ago. In it, Jojima (or is it Johjima? I've seen it written both ways) expresses a desire to play in the majors. That sparked my curiosity so I did a little research on the own and sent a quick question to Gary Garland, the resident expert on Japanese baseball at BaseballGuru.com. Gary really likes Jojima from an offensive standpoint, but thinks he
Comments
Re: Kenji Johjima
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 18, 2002 12:21 AM | YBS Fan ]

I must be getting mellow in my middle age, I actually enjoyed one of Graczyk-san's articles. And while it was just a little thing, I think that having the main-stream press asking players if they would support inter-league play will do a great deal to further awareness of The Cause.

Nonetheless, let's get down to some stats. Johjima (that's how it's spelled on his uniform, so that's how I write it) was ranked 3rd last season in fielding percentage for catchers:

1. Noguchi (NHF): 1 error in 509 attemps = .998
2. Itoh (SL): 2 errors in 594 attempts = .997
3. Johjima (FDH): 6 errors in 815 attempts = .993
4. Matoyama (OKB): 5 errors in 469 attempts = .991
5. Shimizu (CLM): 6 errors in 572 attempts = .990
6. Hidaka (OBW): 9 errors in 822 attempts = .990

Of course, he also had more plays than most other catchers, and caught in all 140 games.

For throwing out base runners, though, Johjima was top in the Pacific League:

1. Johjima: 38 / 92 = .380 (caught/attempts)
2. Noguchi: 15 / 45 = .333
3. Matoyama: 25 / 79 = .316
4. Hidaka: 29 / 94 = .309
5. Itoh: 15 / 56 = .268
6. Shimizu: 13 / 50 = .260

One can't really say that they tried running against Johjima any more than any body else because, what's missing from these stats is the number of innings each player put in behind the plate. Itoh, for instance, caught in 104 games, but Nakajima doubled with him in quite a few of those.

Now, let's compare this to the Central League:

1. Tanishige (YBS): 44 / 81 = .543
2. Furuta (YS): 21 / 43 = .488
3. Yano (HT): 32 / 81 = .395
4. Abe (YG): 24 / 68 = .353
5. Nishiyama (HC): 15 / 63 = .238
6. Nakamura (CD): 22 / 101 = .218

Tanishige and Furuta were both full time catchers for their respective teams (with Furuta missing just a few games at the end of the season). Yet do you notice that less people were willing to challenge Furuta's arm. His reputation as the best catcher keeps people from even attempting, despite evidence that Tanishige will more than likely throw you out.

Also, as you can see, the stakes are a little higher in the Central League, with Yokohama's former backstop on top (now we have Nakamura - ouch!). Odd that Yano wasn't mentioned. That tells me that the recent injury he took blocking home plate is going to hurt the Tigers more than I had first realized.

Nonetheless, Tanishige did try out for a Major League spot this past off season. He wasn't in top condition, but MLB scouts weren't too impressed, either. Of course, I won't argue that Johjima does bring more to the plate than Tanishige, and may have a better chance.

It strikes me that Johjima is getting better every year. I'll have to put fielding data on my list of things to add to back this up with stats. But he's still very young, and has a lot of good experience. And in front of nightly sell out crowds at Fukuoka Dome on tope of that.

I don't want to curse him by saying anything more than that.

Oh, and as for communication with his pitchers, I think that the article pointed out that a good battery can go beyond verbal communication. A catcher who can tell get a feel for what pitches are on for a pitcher (before it costs him) is valuable regardless of what language he speaks.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Apr 19, 2002 4:36 AM | HT Fan ]

This is great. Thanks for the stats and insight.

Kenji's fielding percentage was solid last year and his CS percentage is decent. Do they keep track of CERA in Japan?

As you pointed out, youth is Johjima's strongest asset. Already an all star, he's off to an amazing start this year and he's just 25.

Do you know when Kenji will be a free agent?

Oh, and as for communication with his pitchers, I think that the article pointed out that a good battery can go beyond verbal communication. A catcher who can tell get a feel for what pitches are on for a pitcher (before it costs him) is valuable regardless of what language he speaks.

Agreed. Kenji clearly has a feel for his staff. I'd be very interested to see how far that intuition would take him in MLB.

[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 19, 2002 9:08 AM | YBS Fan ]

- Do they keep track of CERA in Japan?

Forgive my ignorance, but what does CERA stand for? I love stats and all, but I'm not familiar with a lot of the terminology.

The stats I have for catchers are: Games, Steal Attempts, Steal Success, Caught Stealing, Pick-offs, Caught Stealing Percentage.

Fielding stats' fields are: Games, Put Outs, Attempts, Errors, Assists, Past Balls (catchers only), Fielding Percentage.

If one can calculate CERA from the above fields, let me know the formula and I'll do it when I get this info entered into my database (long term goal, unless there's a lot of expressed interest in these stat, then I'll move it up).

- Do you know when Kenji will be a free agent?

Let's see... #1 draft pick out of high school in 1995, and I think he spent some time in 2000 on the DL, which will postpone it for about a year. That should make him eligible in 2005 or so. So if Daiei wanted to finance Fukuoka Dome, as Graczyk-san suggested, look for a posting in 2004 plus or minus a year or two (depending on how many active days he's been on the roster). Daiei will most likely hold onto him as long as they can without losing him to free agency.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Apr 19, 2002 10:03 AM | HT Fan ]

- Do they keep track of CERA in Japan?

Forgive my ignorance, but what does CERA stand for? I love stats and all, but I'm not familiar with a lot of the terminology.

It's a pretty obscure stat. CERA stands for Catcher's Earned-Run Average, the earned-run average of the club's pitchers with a particular catcher behind the plate. Helps to measure how well a catcher calls a game, but its usefulness is limited -- it's used best to compare catchers on the same team.

- Do you know when Kenji will be a free agent?

Let's see... #1 draft pick out of high school in 1995, and I think he spent some time in 2000 on the DL, which will postpone it for about a year. That should make him eligible in 2005 or so. So if Daiei wanted to finance Fukuoka Dome, as Graczyk-san suggested, look for a posting in 2004 plus or minus a year or two (depending on how many active days he's been on the roster). Daiei will most likely hold onto him as long as they can without losing him to free agency.

Sounds good to me. Thanks.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.