Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

perpetual thread: Japanese to MLB

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
perpetual thread: Japanese to MLB
I realise this question gets asked quite frequently, as a forum search I did got a lot of hits, so I apologise if this post is redundant. But I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to start a perpetual thread discussing any news or recent developments re:Japanese players considering moving to MLB. For example, Kazuo Matsui has said that he's more likely to agree to be posted if he has a great 2002 season that proves to himself that he can be a star in MLB. So any articles describing how he feels about his 2002 performance might be useful, esp for foreign readers who don't have access to Japanese newspapers.

Of course, I'm most interested in Godzilla and Little Matsui, but updates on other players would be welcome as well. I know it's all conjecture at this point, but any information could be useful, such as the attitudes of their team owners or GMs regarding posting, team economic conditions that might sway the decision, Japanese rules governing free agency, the players' personal motivations, etc.

I'm a newbie to Japanese yakyu, just turned on to it by the recent articles in Baseball Prospectus. But I'm eager to learn more, as there is an abundance of great talent in Japan, and I think the internationalisation of the game can only make it stronger.

Cheers
sue-hyung shin

PS Great website, by the way!
Comments
New Forum
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 14, 2002 9:10 AM | YBS Fan ]

This is an excellent idea, Shin-san. But rather just one long thread, I've taken the idea a step further and crated a forum for that purpose. This way threads for the two Matsuis et. al. can be more easilly maintained.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.