Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Crack Pot Baseball League Strikes Again

Discussion in the CPBL News forum
Crack Pot Baseball League Strikes Again
The CPBL's website replaces team names on game results with logo gifs. Now it's impossible to pull game results data without data entry.

Really?

CPBL Schedule
Comments
Re: Crack Pot Baseball League Strikes Again
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 23, 2014 12:36 PM | YBS Fan ]

If you are just trying to grab the text, I can see how that can be a problem. I tend to look at the page as XML/HTML, so I'd take the img tag's src="assets/images/logo/B03_logo_05.png" and associate that with the Rhinos. L01_logo_05.png is the Lions, E02_logo_05.png is the Elephants, and A02_logo_05.png is for the Monkeys.

The last time I gathered CPBL results, they used some bonehead Microsoft anti-crawling "tech" that was trivial to circumvent by simply maintaining a session cookie. That's what you get when you have Microsoft Certified people build a web site. Their certification doesn't mean that one understands the underlying technology specifications.
[ Author: NelsonChung | Posted: Mar 26, 2014 7:52 PM | NIP Fan ]

Thanks for the suggestion, I have no idea how to write script.

It appears that the data is now searchable only by surviving teams (Lions, Elephants, Monkeys back to 2009, Rhinos only last year). Some genius at the CPBL decided it was a great idea not to have defunct team pages anymore.

Now that team totals are gone, so are league totals, unless we pull up every player one-by-one. Without league totals, we can't assess a player's performance relative to the league.

Gosh I want to swear.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 27, 2014 12:33 AM | YBS Fan ]

Nothing at the official CPBL web site suggests that they have any competent engineers there. What they had for box scores didn't even have the players in the batting order. It looked like a hash sort. (I believe that Yahoo! Korea had the same issue a few years ago as well.)

Now I'm almost afraid to look at what they've done to the site this year.
[ Author: mondejoe | Posted: Apr 2, 2014 11:05 AM | YOK Fan ]

It's not that bad. At least they have fielding stats and games started for pitchers. The KBO doesn't have any of that. The NPB doesn't have fielding stats according to outfield position.
[ Author: NelsonChung | Posted: Apr 16, 2014 10:30 PM | NIP Fan ]

Not so fast. KBO has a SABR site up and running now. Taiwan better catch up.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.