Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Elephants fire Ryan Cullen

Discussion in the CPBL News forum
Elephants fire Ryan Cullen
Ryan Cullen had a few good seasons in Taiwan but the one thing that most fans will remember him for is his final appearance in a Brother Elephants uniform on April 25th. In the top half of the ninth inning against the Sinon Bulls in a 9-9 tie Cullen threw one pitch and walked off the mound into the dressing room. He did pitch 1 1/3 innings in the game.

The following day he said that he felt his shoulder tighten up after that pitch and that his walking off the mound wasn't a statement directed at the umpire, fans or anybody else. However, Elephants general manager Hong Yun-ling, the first female GM in the CPBL, said his attitude wasn't acceptable.

This season he was 1-2 with 4 saves in 7 opportunities and a 2.08 ERA in 13 games.
Comments
Re: Elephants fire Ryan Cullen
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 29, 2012 10:42 AM | YBS Fan ]

Whoops. Sounds like a serious communication problem. He didn't call for time, have the trainer come out to discuss the problem on the mound, then come out of the game? Such a show might have saved him from what sounds like a baffling departure the sparked all kinds of speculative stories which led to this.
[ Author: mondejoe | Posted: Apr 30, 2012 1:50 AM | YOK Fan ]

There's a video of it on Youtube: [Link]
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 30, 2012 9:24 AM | YBS Fan ]

Thank you for the video.

If all people saw was that final replay, then I can see why people would be upset with him. He threw the pitch, it was a ball inside. The catcher threw the ball back to him, Cullen then flipped the ball toward the mound and walked off the field. If I hadn't watched him all the way to the dugout where the manager pointed to his shoulder, then told the umpire it was a shoulder problem, and the umpire told the scorer it was a shoulder problem, then I'd think he just walked off upset about something; throwing in the towel and burning bridges behind him.

It's a good illustration of how important the full context of something is. If the news cuts off before he meets the trainer outside the dugout, the video doesn't portray Cullen in a very good light.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.