Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

What's the Skil of the CPBL Compared to the MLB Minors?

Discussion in the CPBL News forum
What's the Skil of the CPBL Compared to the MLB Minors?
I know that Japan is like 3A and Korea is 2A. But what's Taiwan?
Comments
Re: What's the Skil of the CPBL Compared to the MLB Minors?
[ Author: Guest: BC | Posted: May 23, 2004 2:08 PM ]

I would say that Taiwan's CPBL is very comparable to the pro league in Korea. I think the one major difference in the NPB of Japan is that the majority of their young stars sign those 9 year deals and stay in Japan. As for Korea and Taiwan, the majority of their top young prospects sign with North American MLB teams or the NPB. But all in all, there is much more depth (talent-wise) in the NPB of Japan compared to Korea and Taiwan.

When the Olympic qualifying games for the Asian regional were played, Japan sent it's best team minus it's superstars playing in the US. They pretty much dominated the rest of the competition - including the best that Korea and Taiwan had to offer from their pro leagues. In my opinion, the only reason Taiwan qualified for the Olympics is not because of their pro league players, but because of the good performances by their overseas players - Chen C.F. of the Dodgers, Chang C.C. who plays in the NPB (Seibu), and Wang C.M. of the Yankees. The only professional CPBL player who shined for Taiwan was Peng C.M. of the Elephants. Sluggers Chang T.S. of the Bulls and Chen C.Y. of the Elephants all had subpar performances.

Once they can get the baseball World Cup going, we'll have a better idea as to how far Korea and Taiwan have to go in order to catch up to the likes of Japan, U.S., Cuba, D.R., P.R., etc.
[ Author: Guest: Tony | Posted: May 27, 2004 7:22 AM ]

Okay, thanks.
[ Author: Guest: kenny | Posted: Jun 13, 2004 11:52 PM ]

A+
That's all.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.