Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Vizquel Wants To Play in NPB

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Vizquel Wants To Play in NPB
San Francisco Giants shortstop Omar Vizquel [Baseball -Reference] said he would like to play in NPB if he can't find a MLB team to play for this off-season. Vizquel will be a free agent after the season.

The slick fielding shortstop has struggled mightily, batting just .187/.251/.217 with 0 HR's and 13 RBI in 69 games and 203 AB's. About the experience of playing in NPB, Vizquel said:
"I've played here long enough in America. I've seen every team, every ballpark. I think it would be great to experience a new league and something new. I played in Japan in 2000 on the major-league all-star tour and I found it very cool - good baseball, good fans. Why not? It's a new culture."
Right now I caution against getting too excited, for a few reasons:
  1. Vizquel has struggled offense wise the past 2 years and is batting well below the Mendoza Line this year, so how much value can a sub-.200 hitter bring a NPB team?
  2. It's not like Vizquel is a spring chicken at 41 years old, and I can't see many NPB teams spending too much to acquire him or go out of their way to sign a 41 year old gaijin
  3. I would be scared of the communication problems that might occur between the language barrier between a second baseman and shortstop. It's important for both players to understand the language
With that said, the experience of Vizquel signing with a NPB team would be interesting to say the least. Though I can't think of a team that be willing to make the move.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle
Comments
Re: Vizquel Wants To Play in NPB
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Sep 3, 2008 12:37 PM | YAK Fan ]

I remember watching Omar dazzle fans with his glove as a shortstop for the Mariners back in the '90s. If he comes to Japan, since there are so many domed stadiums, at least we won't be seeing another earring incident. :P
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.