Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nichi-Bei Series: Game 7

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Nichi-Bei Series: Game 7
NPB won the seventh game 3-2. Koji Uehara pitched 5 scoreless innings, gave up only one hit, walked one, and struck out 1. Yukiya Yokohama pitched a perfect nineth inning for the win. Akinori Iwamura went 1-4 with a RBI double, Atsuya Furuta went 1 for 1 with a pinch-hit RBI single, and Michihiro Ogasawara hit a sayonara single with two outs in the bottom of the nineth. [Link1 - MLB.com] [Link2 - Daily Yomiuri]
Comments
Re: Nichi-Bei Series: Game 7
[ Author: Guest: Deanna | Posted: Nov 13, 2004 8:30 AM ]

The discrepancies between the box scores that MLB puts out and the actual game broadcasts and/or the box scores on npb.or.jp are getting worse and worse. I'm a pretty big Fighters' fan, and especially of Ogasawara, and the MLB coverage has mispelled his name in almost every photo he's been in, and mispronounced it every time it's come up on the radio, and now they completely omitted him from the box score, instead crediting his game-winning hit to Fukuura, despite mentioning him properly in the article. (They also got Imaoka and Nakajima backwards).

I know the games don't actually count for anything beyond people trying to figure out which Japanese players are poachable and when, but I wish they'd show some more respect and get the facts straight. Has anyone found a reliable English box score out there?

I'm also glad Yokoyama got a chance to get out there and close again.
[ Author: Guest: Will | Posted: Nov 13, 2004 11:15 PM ]

Does anybody know which league's baseballs they are using? I ask because I have read that NPB baseballs are quite different from MLB balls. In fact, I seem to recall that NPB balls vary by team.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 14, 2004 3:00 PM | YBS Fan ]

They're using official MLB baseballs. The press has made quite a deal about it, especially observing the lack of power in the Japanese players without the "tobu" (flying) Japanese baseballs. Also, the press has mentioned that serveral Japanse pitchers are interested in how well they can throw the slightly larger MLB ball.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.