Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nichi-Bei Series: Game 2

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Nichi-Bei Series: Game 2
MLB won the second game 5-3. Twins' starting pitcher Kyle Lohse went 4 and 2/3rd innings, allowing 3 runs on six hits. Braves' pitcher Chris Reitsma worked the eighth inning for the win. Angels' pitcher Franscisco Rodriguez worked a perfect ninth inning for the save.

Offensively, Devil Rays' outfielder Carl Crawford had a lead-off home run in the first, two singles, and a stolen base. David Ortiz hit a 514 foot home run to right. Victor Martinez hit a RBI single and Brad Wilkerson, of the the new Washington team, hit an RBI double.

The NPB team tied it temporarily with a RBI single off the bat of Akinori Iwamura.

Source: MLB.com.
Comments
Re: Nichi-Bei Series: Game 2
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 7, 2004 1:09 AM | YBS Fan ]

I just got back from the game a little bit ago. I'll have a larger write up in the morning accompanied with video.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 7, 2004 1:39 PM | YBS Fan ]

I was invited to watch the game last night by a friend of mine, Jeff Kusumoto, who had an extra ticket (due to a cancellation). He brought along his digital camera and managed to get some highlights that he and I would like to share with you. These are fairly large movie files, so they're not recommended for dial-up users. (Also, please ignore the annoying, sometimes over excited voice in the background - that's me.) Please forgive Kusumoto-san for the quality of some of the shots (i.e. losing focus) as he's still adjusting to the camera.

The video clips are in Apple QuickTime format. You can download QuickTime player from here for free, or use the Open Source Video Lan Client or MPlayer, both of which support a number of video formats and are available for FreeBSD, Linux, Mac OS/X, and other operating systems.

Anyway, on to the game.

After the National Anthems for Candada, the U.S., and Japan, the first Japanese Major Leaguer, Murakami Masanori, threw out the first pitch of the game wearing his San Francisco Giants' uniform [Video]. Unlike many cerimonial first pitchers, Murakami threw a strike!

The Japan team were the visitors this evening and batted first. With two down, Yakult's Iwamura Akinori failed to hold up his swing on a pitch outside and in the dirt. But the ball bounced away from the MLB catcher and headed toward the third base dugout, with Iwamura dashing up the first base line for a furinige (strike out/stolen base). Johjima was then hit by a pitch, but Wada lined out Crawford in left for the final out.

Lotte's submariner Watanabe Shunsuke started on the mound for NPB. His first pitch to Crawford was watched for strike one. His second pitch was lined over Saeki Takahiro's (Yokohama) head in right and into the right fields stands [Video]. The MLB takes a quick 1-0 lead.

But that lead didn't last long. Lotte's Fukuura Kazuya led off the second with a base hit up the middle, and two outs later, Seibu's Nakajima Hiroyuki beat out an infield single. That brought up the top of the NPB's order in Akahoshi Norihiro (Hanshin). Akahoshi cleared the bases with a triple into the right field corner [Video] to turn the game around 2-1.

But that lead didn't last long either. The MLB tied the game up on a single by Wells, a double by Wilkerson, and a ground out by J. Wilson in the bottom half of the second.

The next bit of excitement was the third inning. Crawford led off the inning grounding the ball deep to the hole at second. Imaoka Makoto made a diving stop, came up, and threw Crawford out at first - but the umpire missed the play entirely and called him safe. At least, that's how it looked from the right field stands. But Crawford didn't stay there long. Looking like he was going to run, Kusumoto-san kept his camera fixed on Crawford. And it payed off as Blalock grounded the ball to Fukuura at first who fielded the two hopper on top of the first base bag, tagged it, threw to second to cut off Crawford, then took the ball back from Nakajima and tagged Crawford out for the double play [Video].

The MLB then took a 3-2 lead when Ortiz hit a huge lead-off home run in the bottom of the fourth [Video]. (The ball hit well above and to the right of the wall that the camera panned to.)

Akahoshi was then the catalyst again in the fifth inning when he bunted for a base hit with one out to get on first. He was on the move when Imaoka grounded out to third, the only play being at first. Then, on Iwamura's single to right, Akahoshi had no plans on stopping at third and went all thet way home, beating the throw [Video].

After that, the game remained tied at 3-3 until the bottom of the eighth. Yakult's Ishii Hirotoshi, who came in mid-way through the seventh, gave up a lead-off base hit then got the next two MLBers, Ortiz just beating out an inning ending double play. Oh-kantoku called in Nippon Ham's (formerly Yokohama's) Yokoyama Yukiya who gave up three straight hits, surrendering two runs.

Those two runs turned out to be too many as the NPB went down in order in the top of the nineth. We were so close! Yet relief failed us in the end while it only seemed to get stronger for the Major Leaguers.

All in all, it was a very well played game on both sides. The Major Leaguers this time appear much better ballanced than in the past, having both speed and power. (Japan's shown speed, but no power as of yet.)

Kusumoto-san complained that there doesn't seem to be the same desire in either team that's been there in the past. The two teams seem to have accepted that they're playing a friendly game among equals, whereas in the past the Major Leaguers had their pride to protect, and the Japanese felt they had to prove themselves.
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Nov 7, 2004 5:10 PM | TYS Fan ]

- Kusumoto-san complained that there doesn't seem to be the same desire in either team that's been there in the past. The two teams seem to have accepted that they're playing a friendly game among equals, whereas in the past the Major Leaguers had their pride to protect, and the Japanese felt they had to prove themselves.

I also attended the game and would agree with Kusamoto-san's statement. I attended the first game of the 2002 series and that had much more of a competitive buzz about it, whereas last night's game had a relaxed exhibition feel to it - I was a little dissapointed.

The highlight of the game for me was the chance to witness a David Ortiz homer - the biggest I have ever witnessed - that would have left any of the non-domed stadiums in Japan. Amazing - prehaps Yakult can sign him for next year.
[ Author: himself | Posted: Nov 7, 2004 10:09 PM | FSH Fan ]

Ortiz's HR had to be one of the longest home runs anyone hit in Japan. We don't even see 500-ft home runs in the Major Leagues. So that monster was an amazing sight to behold.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.