Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tigers Defeat Yankees

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Tigers Defeat Yankees
I really don't understand the Japanese press. The Hanshin Tigers became the first Japanese teams to defeat the visiting New York Yankees who went into last night's game with 16 wins, no losses, and 1 tie, and what's the headline on page 1?

Matsui Bats Second

The Tigers just made history! They defeated argueably the strongest team in the world 11-7. And they're pushed to page 3?

The Tiger who made the most impression on Tory-kantoku was Akahoshi. With a push bunt in the second inning (for a safty squeeze), the Yankee skipper said that "Akihoshi" reminded him of Matty Alou. Akahoshi went 2 for 5 with an RBI (on the saftey squeeze) and he scored later in the second inning.

Arias hit his second home run in two days against the Major Leaguers, driving in 5 Tigers against the Yanks. And Yano went 3 for 5 with an RBI single in the second, lead off double in the third, and a solo home run in the fifth. Hamanaka and Toritani where the only starters not to hit Yankee pitching, while Hiyama, who pinch hit and stayed in the game for Hamanaka in the forth, went 3 for 3.

I have no idea what this will do to the Yankees phychologically, but it should give the Tigers a huge boost. Expecially with all the "experts" expecting Hanshin to come down this year, a historic win like this can be a real boost to morale.
Comments
Re: Tigers Defeat Yankees
[ Author: Guest: Ericthewierdo | Posted: Apr 1, 2004 12:38 AM ]

Well, since I hate the Yankees, I'll just say it.

Whop-dee-doo!
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 2, 2004 11:28 PM | HT Fan ]

I think you'll find the press in Kansai featured the historic win more prominently. The sports shimbun here always put the Tigers on page 1, so at least with this victory they really had something to talk about!

And the Tigers are continuing their great form, whipping the Giants 8-3 on Opening Day. The victory over the Yankees was no fluke - this is a great team.
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Apr 5, 2004 11:12 PM | HNHF Fan ]

Tigers defeating the Yankees is not easy. Especially for their level. Yano hitting an international home run in that game, of course, is really not an easy feat. And Tigers are still hot.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Apr 7, 2004 2:06 AM | HT Fan ]

It took the BayStars to finally stop the Tigers. Who would've thunk it?
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Apr 7, 2004 11:30 AM | HNHF Fan ]

And Sasaki to save the game.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 7, 2004 5:14 PM | HT Fan ]

Yeah, but the BayStars defeated the Tigers in their first meeting last year, too, and then lost the next 16. Let's see what happens tonight.
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Apr 9, 2004 1:05 AM | HNHF Fan ]

BayStars defeat Tigers again 4-0. So nice.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.