Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Future Japanese imports to MLB?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Future Japanese imports to MLB?
Hi there,

I looked through your forums but couldn't find a thread on a topic that intrigues me. Who will be the next star-quality Japanese player(s) to make the leap to Major League Baseball? After seeing the impact of Ichiro, Matsui, etc., I'd like the inside scoop on who might be next.

SW
Brookline, MA
Comments
Re: Future Japanese imports to MLB?
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Feb 25, 2004 2:01 PM ]

If it wasn't the 9 years rule to be a free agent in Japan, there is no doubt that Diasuke Matsuzaka is able to compete against the best hitters in the MLB.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 25, 2004 3:47 PM ]

Pitcher Keichi Yabu of the Hanshin Tigers recently declared that he would like to try to jump to the Majors after he gains free agency after this season. It is doubtful, however, that he will attract much interest.

Hirotoshi Ishii and Akinori Iwamura, both of the Yakult Swallows, have anounced that they would like to go to the Majors via the posting system, but whether they are posted after this year is still a question. Ishii is a power and finesse pitcher, running his fastballs upto 154 kph with a combination of a slider and other pitches to overpower the batters he faces. Iwamura, who was probably looking for a breakout year last year, had limited playing time after an injury in the first week of the season. He has good speed, good range, and is improving with the glove. He can play second, third, and in the outfield, and he seems to get bigger and bigger every year.

The person who if posted would most likely succeed in the Majors is Koji Uehara. He maxes out at about 147 kph, but he relies on his control to get hitters out. In the Central League, Uehara probably has the best control amongst all the pitchers, including a killer forkball that he used to strikeout Barry Bonds three times in a Nichi-Bei All Star Games.
Latest on any Japanese Players Going to the US?
[ Author: Guest: Nick | Posted: Mar 1, 2004 1:11 PM ]

Is there any chance that any more Japanese players will be heading to the U.S. for the 2004 season, or is it too late at this point? Also, does anyone have any information on who might be headed to North America for the 2005 season (and opinions on what to expect from same in terms of production in the U.S.)? Finally, what's the latest on Tadahito Iguchi?

Thanks in advance for any information you might have.
Re: Latest on any Japanese Players Going to the US?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 1, 2004 10:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

The Giants' Uehara mentioned the posting system a week or two ago, then all mention of him disappeared from the press. My guess is that he's in the dog house for making statements without clearing them through the Giants' PR department first.

Otherwise, my answer to the question, "who will be the next Japanese player going to the Majors?" is, ask again in November.
Re: Latest on any Japanese Players Going to the US?
[ Author: weirdgaijin | Posted: Mar 4, 2004 9:49 PM ]

Please. Uehara to the majors? Highly doubt King Whatanutbe will let him go. Knowing his tactics, Watanabe will probably put a leash on Uehara during the off season so if Uehara tries to go far, Whatanutbe can yank him back to Tokyo.
[ Author: Guest: Nick | Posted: Mar 3, 2004 11:51 PM ]

Norihiro Nakamura is in spring training with the Dodgers this year, but I read that he expects to return to Japan for the upcoming season. I also read that he is considering coming to the U.S. for the 2005 season. Given his change of heart last year with the New York Mets, does anyone think he will actually come to the U.S. next year? If so, what are your thoughts on his level of success?

Thanks.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Mar 5, 2004 3:50 AM ]

I think Nakamura's chance in MLB is very slim. And I hate to say this, but every player Mets have gotten didn't perform as well as they expected. I hope that'll change with Kaz Matsui.
[ Author: Guest: taro | Posted: Mar 5, 2004 10:12 PM ]

He swings through too many pitches. Did you see that spring training game? He tries to hit everything middle-in. That won't work in the majors.

I hope both Matsuis do well though! How many home runs do you predict from Hideki? He added 5 pounds of muscle. I'm gonna say 23.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.