Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nakamura Invited to Dodgers' Spring Training

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Nakamura Invited to Dodgers' Spring Training
Wow, big news! Nakamura spurns the Mets, signs a huge contract with the Buffaloes, and then goes and plays for the Dodgers! Crazy stuff.
Comments
Re: Nakamura Invited to Dodgers' Spring Training
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Jan 24, 2004 1:24 AM ]

Looks like he just wants some February Florida sun and to fulfill his "fantasy" of playing MLB ball, but not really doing so. He hasn't been signed by the Dodgers, and he must be under contract with the Buffalos.

He was unimpressive last year. Perhaps he will regain his game, but I'm glad he must search for it as a Buffalo and not a Met. That sentiment is shared by almost all Met fans based on his personal conduct in severing negotiations with the Mets. He was viewed as most ungracious.

Kazuo Matsui, on the other hand, will be great to watch and is most welcomed.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Jan 24, 2004 1:33 PM | HT Fan ]

Nori's decision and his reasons for making it have been discussed ad nauseum on this board. So I'll just point that his unimpressive performance last year was most likely due to his knee injury, which was serve enough to require surgery.
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Jan 25, 2004 1:38 PM ]

Well, then, I hope Nori recovers. Maybe he can have a shot at the Dodgers if they display the proper "ethics" and when his head, heart, and knees are into it. I think he should just focus on getting his game and conditioning back because last year, he had neither.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Jan 25, 2004 4:41 PM | HT Fan ]

I've gotta admit, I find your sour grapes amusing, especially more than a year after the fact.

I can't speak to Nori's head, but his heart was certainly "into it" last year. He played with pain almost the entire season because he didn't want to let his team mates down. His body just wouldn't cooperate.

I also think it's unfair to question an injured player's game and conditioning. Was his game off because he was hurt or because he had neither to start with? I don't know. You must have access to better information than I do -- that, or the sour grapes are talking again.
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Jan 26, 2004 11:21 AM ]

I thought it was hilarious that a guy who couldn't wait to get out of the U.S. over a concocted tiff all of a sudden wants to play fantasy baseball with the Dodgers in Florida. They have those camps for amateurs you know, but it would cost Nori about $4,000.

If he wanted to support his team mates, he'd have had the surgery as soon as possible last season so he could give 100% and not hurt the team by playing at less than best.

I saw a flabby, soft, unathletic guy at third last year. I'm not sour grapes, because that would imply that the Mets missed out on something special. He was pedestrian at best.

I don't have a high regard for him because his little tantrum and running back to Japan in a huff over an alleged leaked story was bizarre. I think the poor man just got cold feet but wasn't strong enough to admit it. Instead, he indicts the entire Mets' organization. Not like Ichiro, Matsui, or Kaz who are brave and confident. My hat off to each of them. When Nakamura does something remarkable, I'll acknowledge that, too. Right now, I don't think much of him.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jan 26, 2004 4:49 PM | HT Fan ]

I just want to add my two yen and stick up for Nori here.

- I thought it was hilarious that a guy who couldn't wait to get out of the U.S. over a concocted tiff all of a sudden wants to play fantasy baseball with the Dodgers in Florida.

I don't know why Nori backed out of his agreement with the Mets, and I won't/can't defend his decision to do so. But he has announced that he wants another shot at MLB, and he wants to be posted after the 2004 season. Read about it here [Nikkan Sports in Japanese].

- I saw a flabby, soft, unathletic guy at third last year. I'm not sour grapes, because that would imply that the Mets missed out on something special. He was pedestrian at best.

You've got a point about Nori's build. But we've seen guys like John Kruk and Mo Vaughn have some success at the MLB level, and I can tell you that Nori is more athletic than either of them. He plays a very credible third base, and has good hands there.

- When Nakamura does something remarkable, I'll acknowledge that, too. Right now, I don't think much of him.

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what kind of numbers he puts up this year in anticipation of being posted. I'm kind of a fan of the guy myself, having lived in/around Osaka for the last couple years, I saw him several times at Osaka Dome. You'd be surprised about his defense and his bat speed. I've got my doubts about his ability to suceed in the bigs, too, but I'd like to see him do well.
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Jan 28, 2004 7:51 AM ]

I don't wish the fellow ill and if he rebounds in 2004, good for him. It's always tough coming back from an injury. If he ends up with the Dodgers, I'll despise him (as a player) like I do the rest of the hated Dodgers!

Mo Vaughn was certainly a sight to behold and a poster child for how to be flabby and still succeed in baseball. You're right about Nori not being in his league.

The stats you quoted are very good and your point is noted. I recall that his earlier stats were not as impressive, but I am probably mistaken.

Another post stated that getting surgery quick so that one could be at 100% and not be a drag on the team might not be a shared view in Japan. For my understanding, what is the rationale?

I realize I knocked one of the top players in NPB, and in hindsight, I might be offended if I were in your shoes. Sorry about that. It's just that the way Nori ran off and blasted Mets' management as essentially being untrustworthy, and as a result, inadequate for his talents was perceived as bizarre, insulting, and an inappropriate excuse. If he got cold feet, the matter could have been handled more discretely by all parties, IMHO.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Jan 29, 2004 10:19 AM | HT Fan ]

- The stats you quoted are very good and your point is noted. I recall that his earlier stats were not as impressive, but I am probably mistaken.

Prior to this year, Nori had five seasons in a row with solid to outstanding production.

- Another post stated that getting surgery quick so that one could be at 100% and not be a drag on the team might not be a shared view in Japan. For my understanding, what is the rationale?

Read Choji Murata's story on page 52 of "You Gotta Have Wa." Perhaps the Japanese view of injury has changed since then -- Westbay-san, Garland-san, CFiJ and many others would know better than I. There are things about Japanese culture that neither you nor I will likely understand. So you might want to keep cultural differences in mind when your evaluating Nori's actions. That's what I was trying to suggest. This also applies to what transpired between Nakamura and the Mets.

- I realize I knocked one of the top players in NPB, and in hindsight, I might be offended if I were in your shoes. Sorry about that.

You didn't offend -- me, at least. I just disagreed; that's all. No worries.
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Jan 30, 2004 1:13 AM ]

To prod my memory, I checked this website's player profiles. Between 1995-2000, Nakamura-san hit a middling .257, although his OBP was good and had good home run production. The OBP can partly be due to other things that might not be replicated in MLB, such as position in the batting order, protection, pitching, etc. Home run production was likely to at least temporarily decline, due to the adjustment to different types and faster pitching in MLB. His 2001 and 2002 seasons were excellent. In 2003, he played hurt, which we assume is the cause for his production decline.

I do not have the book you refer to, and of course there are cultural differences, which triggered my question.

Players do improve over time, but whether Nakamura-san would enjoy the same level of success in MLB as he did in 2002 and 2003 is uncertain. Perhaps 2004 will shed some light on whether the real Nakamura-san in the one of 1995-2000/2003 or 2001-2002.

Are you a suffering Cubs fan by any chance?
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Jan 30, 2004 10:53 AM | HT Fan ]

- Between 1995-2000, Nakamura-san hit a middling .257. [...]

Between 1998-2003 Nakamura hit .283/.389/.558. I think that six-year span is more indicative of his current ability, and that's including his injury-plagued 2003.

- Players do improve over time [...]

Actually, players improve to a point -- most research suggests age 26 or 27 -- maintain close to that level for a few years and then start to decline. The drop off is often more rapid in ponderous power-hitters like Nori. See: Jason Giambi.

- [...] but whether Nakamura-san would enjoy the same level of success in MLB as he did in 2002 and 2003 is uncertain.

I'd be shocked to see Nakamura enjoy the same level of succes in MLB as he's enjoyed in NPB -- at least in terms of statistics. His numbers will decline most likely if he comes over. Just as Ichiro's and Godzilla's did, and Kazuo's most likely will. That doesn't mean Nakamura isn't a remarkable player, however.

- I do not have the book you refer to.

Find it, read it. It's not hard to come by.

- Are you a suffering Cubs fan by any chance?

LOL. What clued you in, my screenname or the fact I live in Chicago? I have a feeling I'll be suffering less than Mets' fans this year though. (wink)
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Feb 1, 2004 11:03 AM ]

- Read Choji Murata's story on page 52 of "You Gotta Have Wa." Perhaps the Japanese view of injury has changed since then [...]

Japanese athletes in general are reluctant to go "under the knife." It's the same in sumo, and I assume in J-League as well. The general attitude is not unlike the NFL: guys try to play through pain, the coaches want them to play through pain, and surgery becomes a last resort. I would say that it's much better than in Murata's time, but still not at the point where MLB is (and even MLB has its share of macho "playing through pain," even with the DL).

- [...] So you might want to keep cultural differences in mind when your evaluating Nori's actions. That's what I was trying to suggest.

We discussed the Nakamura-Mets situation some time ago, so I won't rehash it all here. Suffice to say that Mets (unintentionally) really embarrassed Nakamura and made him look bad with people he respected in Japanese baseball. That's not to say that it was just cause for pulling out of a verbal agreement (in fact, I believe there were other factors as well that shook Nori's resolve), but so it goes.
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Feb 1, 2004 4:53 PM ]

So is playing through pain considered a test of one's sacrifice for and loyalty to the team or a demonstration of resolve, or a local variant of "machoism"?

I also know that Nakamura-san was unintentionally embarassed with the announcement's timing. Others before or after him didn't have those troubles, however.

My opinion is that he should stay put. Trying to make the transition to MLB is not for everyone.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Feb 2, 2004 2:03 PM ]

- So is playing through pain considered a test of one's sacrifice for and loyalty to the team or a demonstration of resolve, or a local variant of "machoism"?

It's just like in the States.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Jan 27, 2004 10:32 AM | HT Fan ]

- If he wanted to support his team mates, he'd have had the surgery as soon as possible last season so he could give 100% and not hurt the team by playing at less than best.

I'd agree with you but suspect the Japanese view might be a little different.

- When Nakamura does something remarkable, I'll acknowledge that, too. Right now, I don't think much of him.

When he does some remarkable? He hit .298/.406/.603 between 2000 to 2002. Do you know what Kazuo hit over that same time period? .321/.376/.559. Shortstops who can hit like that are harder to find than third basemen -- but not much. Or are talking about doing something remarkable in MLB? If that's the case, perhaps you're on the wrong forum.
[ Author: Guest: The Neyagawa Kid | Posted: Jan 26, 2004 9:38 PM ]

A quick question. Why are the Dodgers and Buffaloes on such friendly terms? Do they have some kind of agreement like the Yankees and Yomiuri have? I noticed Tommy Lasorda in the back of my Kintetsu year book from a year or so back and was wondering what was up with all that?

As for the possibilty of Nori defecting after the 2004 season, he would be a definite improvement over Beltre who just hasn't lived up to my own expectations.

And to all the critics, just wait and see, Nakamura's going to be back in form this coming year. Reading about him in U.S. papers doesn't do the man justice. Sure, he's chubby, but he's also an amazing ballplayer with power, contact, and very capable defensive. The numbers don't lie. If he was the same pile of lard that he's been described as in this thread, he could just play DH. He's an all around ball player, [... flames snipped ...].
[ Author: Guest: Corey | Posted: Jan 26, 2004 10:12 PM ]

I am a Mets' fan who lives in America and I'm very happy to have Kaz on my team. Are any of you Lions' fans? I'm curious to here your take on exactly what type of player he is. I know he has speed/defense but if any of you have seen the Mets' star shortstop/now second baseman Jose Reyes, I'd like to know if Kaz is a better SS than he is. I think that would be tough because Jose was just so good.

But anyway, on to Nakamura. I was somewhat relieved when he spurned the Mets in 2003. My theory was that he knew Hideki Matsui was also playing in New York and he feared being compared to him knowing that Matsui was a much better player than he was. I haven't seen Nori much at all (I've seen about 2-3 of his at bats on TV), but he has been compared to Tony Batista (formely of the Orioles, now of the Expos, with a terribly unorthidox style of hitting) and they say that Nori wouldn't be able to catch up to an American fastball.

Well I'm glad we got "Little Matsui" and not Nakamura.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Jan 28, 2004 12:53 PM ]

The reason Nakamura backed out a deal with the Mets is because the Mets reported to have him signed while they didn't - and of course those are the words from Nakamura's side. Maybe Nakamura saw the struggle of Shinjo, Irabu, etc. and decide to stay in his home where he'll always be a star.
"Little" Matsui
[ Author: Guest: Neyagawa Kid | Posted: Jan 28, 2004 12:41 PM ]

He really doesn't want to be called Lil' Matsui, and who can blame him, his game is completely different than Matsui Hideki's, and there's really nothing little about Kazuo at all. Get it straight.
Re: "Little" Matsui
[ Author: Guest: cyril | Posted: Feb 4, 2004 8:29 AM ]

- and there's really nothing little about Kazuo at all

Isn't he 5' 9"?
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Feb 4, 2004 10:06 AM | HT Fan ]

- Isn't he 5' 9"?

177cm is closer to 5-10. Not tall, but certainly not "little" either. Right about average, in fact.
[ Author: Guest: cyril | Posted: Feb 6, 2004 10:34 AM ]

Isn't the average baseball player over 6'?
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Feb 6, 2004 3:53 PM | HT Fan ]

- Isn't the average baseball player over 6'?

I don't know. I do know the average height for a man in the US is 5-9, which is what I meant by average.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 6, 2004 5:33 PM | YBS Fan ]

Querying my database, Matsui is still 2cm taller than the tallest of the shortest 100 in Japan in 2003.

The nickname "Little Matsui" was given to him by Dusty Baker who managed the touring MLB team in the 1996 Nichi-Bei All Star Series. Dusty was very impressed with the two Matsui's, and used their size difference to differentiate them. "Big Matsui" (Hideki) crushed MLB pitching. "Little Matsui" (Kazuo) gave the MLB battery headaches every time he reached base.

Given two very impressive players with the same last name, Dusty used their size difference to tell them apart. That's how Kazuo came to be called "Little Matsui."
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Feb 9, 2004 10:11 PM ]

I ought to know better than to second guess Mr. Japanesebaseball, but my recollection was that H. Matsui was just OK in that series, but Kaz Matsui creamed the MLB pitching. Can you help jar my memory, please?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 10, 2004 12:08 AM | YBS Fan ]

Not by any means. My memory is notoriously poor. So I did some Googling to see what I could find.

H. Matsui went 9 for 31 (.290) with 2 home runs and 7 RBIs in the 8 games in 1996. [Link - Sankei Sports in Japanese] The "big" one was Game 7 when his grand slam defeated the Major Leaguers.

I failed to find detailed information on Kazuo for the 1996 Nichi-Bei Series in Japanese. Perhaps someone else can have more luck.
[ Author: Guest: Daniel Johnson | Posted: Feb 10, 2004 5:49 AM ]

In the 1996 Series, Kazuo Matsui had a team-high 10 hits in 18 at-bats (good for a .556 average) and five stolen bases in as many attempts.

Also, while the Dusty Baker story is true, Hideki Matsui actually is taller than the vast majority of Japanese players, and Kazuo Matsui is shorter than a high percentage of them. In a 2003 pre-season guide, Kazuo Matsui is listed as 177 cm and 83 kg. This made him shorter than 43 of his Seibu Lions team mates, the same height as seven of them, and taller than 13 of them. According to a pre-season guide from 2002, Hideki Matsui was 186 cm and 95 kg. This made him shorter than eight of his Yomiuri Giants teammates, the same height as seven of them, and taller than 52 of them.

Both of the players were heavier than most of their teammates: just 20 Lions weighed more than Kazuo Matsui, and only two Giants were heavier than Hideki Matsui.

As stated, these figures do not comprise all teams, but they serve as an indication of each player's comparative physical stature.

I would like to throw in my own two cents about Kazuo Matsui's likely performance in 2004. Watching the Major League All-Stars games against the Japanese All-Stars convinced me that by and large, Japanese power hitters would not fare as well in the Major Leagues as speedy players who hit for average. This is due to many reasons, including the somewhat lighter baseballs used in Japan and in some cases, smaller ballparks. So, a player such as Ichiro can come close to equaling his totals much easier than someone such as Hideki Matsui. Unless his speed has significantly diminished, I view Kazuo Matsui as being much more similar to Ichiro than to Hideki Matsui, and predict that if he adjusts well to American culture, he will have no problem hitting over .300.

I also think that Hideki Matsui will hit more home runs this year, due to his increased familiarity with American baseball and culture, in general. Of course, I could be wrong, because so many factors, many of which are not quantifiable, determine a foreign player's productivity.
[ Author: skritchy | Posted: Feb 11, 2004 7:50 AM ]

- I also think that Hideki Matsui will hit more home runs this year, due to his increased familiarity with American baseball and culture, in general. Of course, I could be wrong, because so many factors, many of which are not quantifiable, determine a foreign player's productivity.

I read some analysis about halfway through the 2003 season that noted that godzilla's groundball/flyball ratio was something ridiculous like 3:1. But a quick check on the MLB site shows that by the end of the year his GO/AO ratio was down to 1.86, i.e. he was hitting the ball in the air more in the second half. If he can continue this trend, he'll be hitting more homers.

On the other hand, I looked at his Yankee Stadium hit chart. There were an awful lot of opposite field flyouts. If he wants to hit more homers, he's gonna have to start pulling the ball more.
H. Matsui's Power
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Feb 11, 2004 1:25 PM ]

That's the rub; a double-edged sword. H. Matsui is a notorious pull hitter, and in the beginning of last season, he was pulling everything, resulting in an incredible number of ground balls to second. He was even dubbed Ground-zilla by the New York press, a monicker on his Japanese nickname, Godzilla.

To adjust, he started to hit the other way, resulting in more balls in the air, but he didn't have the power to convert them into home runs.

With a full season under his belt, and building up strength, his timing should improve so that the balls he pulls result in liners/fly balls that go over, or fly balls that result in doubles/home runs when hitting the other way. The only danger is that he may become enamored with hitting the other way, since he's seen more success in MLB with that approach, which should keep his average up, but power numbers down.

This is all theoretical, of course.
Re: H. Matsui's Power
[ Author: skritchy | Posted: Feb 14, 2004 4:51 AM ]

Here's to hoping his timing will improve!

It would be great to see a Japanese ballplayer club 30 home runs in MLB.
Nori in Dodgertown
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Feb 24, 2004 5:46 PM ]

Here's what a Yahoo! Sports writer had to say about Nori, who's training with the Dodgers this spring. [Link]
He's not on the roster but Japanese third baseman Norihiro Nakamura, who stars for the Osaka Buffaloes, is in camp to practice with the team. He is attracting plenty of attention. It's not just his long blond mullet or his bright red glove either. This guy is a real-deal slugger who has "trimmed the trees" (hit into the woods over center field) here this week.
Re: Nori in Dodgertown
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Mar 5, 2004 6:13 AM ]

nj.com [everything New Jersey] has an interesting article on Nakamura-san. It helps explain the unusual circumstances surrounding his aborted signing with the Mets in 2002.

I actually feel bad for the guy, and if this report is true, my opinion of him has changed for the better. It sounds like the situation "could not have been helped."
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.