Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Masahiro Yamamoto in American Minors in 1988?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Masahiro Yamamoto in American Minors in 1988?
I was glancing through the 1989 Sporting News Guide and noticed that Masahiro Yamamoto pitched with the Dodgers' affiliate (Vero Beach) in the Florida State League, finishing second in the league in ERA. Did Los Angeles have a working agreement with Chunichi back then? Or was there another left-handed pitcher by the same name? I just thought it was rather unusual.

Interesting league - future home run champs in the Pacific League (Tuffy Rhodes), in Mexico (Boi Rodrigues), and in the National League (Sammy Sosa).
Comments
Re: Masahiro Yamamoto in American Minors in 1988?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 11, 2004 11:08 AM | YBS Fan ]

Unfortunately, this is before my own knowledge, so I can't say with any certanty. However, looking through his stats (see link above), 1988 was the year before he become a regular, playing in just 8 games that year.

It is (or at least was) a fairly common practice for Japanese teams to send their young players to North America to mature and for rehabilitation.

I don't know if it was done under a "working agreement" or something less formal. But chances are high that this was him.
Re: Masahiro Yamamoto in American Minors in 1988?
[ Author: japfan | Posted: Jan 12, 2004 7:42 PM ]

Yes, Masa Yamamoto played for the Vero Beach Dodgers and for the San Jose Giants in 1988, then he returned in Japan to have a good career.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.