Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Baseball World Cup

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Baseball World Cup
MLB endoursed Baseball World Cup in 2005 [Yahoo Sports - MLB News]?
Comments
Baseball World Cup Preps Enter Final Phase
[ Author: Guest: Milos | Posted: Feb 8, 2004 3:03 AM ]

I have read that this idea was in the works about 5-6 months ago, but it seems that the negotiations for it are in final stages as of yesterday. The chances are good that the baseball fans will have a World Cup of their own, and I am really looking forward to this competition.

Here's the beginning of the writeup from ESPN :
Imagine a middle of the order of Vladimir Guerrero, Sammy Sosa, Albert Pujols and Manny Ramirez. Imagine Ichiro leading off, followed by the Matsui boys, Kaz and Hideki. Imagine Alex Rodriguez, Nomar Garciaparra and Derek Jeter playing on the same team.
Read the rest here [ESPN.go.com].
Re: Baseball World Cup Preps Enter Final Phase
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Feb 9, 2004 11:49 PM ]

Last I heard was that the MLB Player's Association will likely not approve the drug test policy of the International Baseball Committee.
Re: Baseball World Cup Preps Enter Final Phase
[ Author: shinkucho | Posted: Feb 27, 2004 7:50 AM ]

Coincidentally, I just posted a message about this subject. There was a baseball World Cup in 2003, played in Cuba. The final eight teams, in final standing order, were: Cuba, Panama, Japan, Taiwan, USA, Nicaragua, Brasil and Korea. For the U.S., none, of course, were MLB players. I cannot find any of the Japanese players who are NPB players. For the other teams, though, most of them do play in their respective country's "major" league.

I do hope someone can provide for me the missing info that I mentioned in my other post.

Gene
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.