Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Metropolitan Matsui

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Metropolitan Matsui
A Lesson To Be Learned

I listened all day to the New York radio stations myself. The callers were about 60-40 "against" the move. I can understand the worry, but most of the detractors wanted Guerrero or A-Rod. There is already a "Rangers" team in New York and they're just as bad as Texas.

A-Rod would cost the Mets too many quality players, both in trade and in money available to replace them. It would be the worst move they could make with a $90 million payroll. He is Michael Jordan, but this isn't basketball. You need 25 quality players to win. With a $120M payroll, they would have been fine, but those days are gone for now.

Montreal is offering Vlad a 5 year/ $75M contract, and Baltimore is ready to burn mad money. Guerrero is a great player, but a great risk with his bad back - been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt. No thanks.

First Step Towards Success

Since the Yankees went on their free agent spree, they haven't won a World Series. Though they abound in numbers, they don't compliment each other. Nothing is more glaring than Soriano (please don't compare to Reyes - a much different type of hitter). Soriano doesn't get on base as much as Knoblauch did. He's too busy striking out or hitting home runs. That leaves first base open too often for Jeter.

Knoblauch's best leadoff season with the Yankees was in 1999 when he had a .393 on-base-percentage (OBP). Jeter hit .349 that year and drove in 102 runs. Derek benefited greatly from a distracted pitcher. With table setters like these, even "non-megastar" 3, 4, and 5 hitters thrive, and it trickles down the lineup. You don't need an A-Rod or a Guerrero. The Yankees had very good players in Williams, O'Neill, and Martinez. The rest of the lineup obviously benefited from the chaos created by 1 through 5.

I would not be presumptuous to say that Reyes/Kaz equate to Knoblauch/Jeter, but the raw elements are there. If each player were to focus on his role, the windfall could be enormous.

Why The Mets Need Kaz

The Mets need offense and defense. Kaz gives them both.

I would prefer having Reyes leadoff. He's got 20 year-old lightning fast legs and his OBP steadily improved last year, as he learned to be more patient at the plate. His August stats were off the chart: .355 AVG / .408 OBP (including 10 walks in last 110 at bats - he only had 3 the previous 164 at bats). He went on the DL for protective measures after injuring his ankle, but he's 100%.

Kaz fell in love with his home run stroke back in 2000 and then started striking out more. I agree that his focus should be on making contact and using his speed to his advantage. He wants to compete with Jeter? Let him bat second. He doesn't need to steal 50 bases, and I'm not so sure he still can. He's got great instincts on the base paths and will be a major distraction for pitchers when Piazza and Floyd come to bat.

If all of this wasn't enough: Who plays shortstop? Who bats first? This might be the most sensitive question: Who gets to wear #7? Ouch!

Gotta go! Kaz needs my pen for his 1:30 am ET press conference.
Comments
Re: Metropolitan Matsui
[ Author: Guest: Brent | Posted: Dec 9, 2003 2:37 PM ]

I doubt Reyes cares about the number 7. He wore number 2. For most of his minor league career.

Also when Metsui arrived at the Airport, there was over 70 members of the US and Japan media. He had his little girl with him. He had to be rescued by the Mets' owner, Jeff Wilpon, and GM Jim Duquette. It was quite a site. There must have been a million photos taken. Metsui was grinning ear to ear! Before saying "see you Wednesday" referring to the Press Conference.
[ Author: InterestedAmericanObserver | Posted: Dec 10, 2003 1:47 AM ]

I am a Mets' beat writer/columnist for NYMFansonly.com/Yahoo! Sports, and I wrote this about the Mets' move for Matsui. [I'll post the whole thing, since it is my article].

The argument goes that, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. This adage applies directly to baseball, or so argues a camp that would have you believe that moving Jose Reyes, the Mets' young 20-year old phenom, from his familiar shortstop to second base. The Mets said Reyes, who has been hailed as the Mets most gifted and promising homegrown position player since Darryl Strawberry in the mid 1980s, would be nearly impossible to supplant as the Mets' future shortstop.

However, the Mets reserved the right to shift him if a special player and special set of circumstances came along.

And, in Japanese free agent Kazuo Matsui, hailed as an amalgam of Hideki Matsui (no relation) and Ichiro Suzuki, the Mets have found that player.

Kazuo Matsui is no ordinary player. A seven time all-star and three time Gold Glove winner for the Seibu Lions of the Pacific League, Kazuo, the 1998 NPB (Nippon Professional Baseball) league MVP, provides both the great skill and marketability that the Mets have been craving since they began a swoon that has culminated in two straight last place finishes in the NL East.

Matsui, regarded as the best player in Japan since and perhaps even before Hideki Matsui left for the cross-town Yankees, brings a rare combination of speed, power and fielding prowess to the Mets. Despite measuring in at five foot nine, Matsui hit 33 homeruns for Seibu last season after being moved into the three-slot in the lineup and being asked to hit for more power.

Although he does not draw an exorbitant amount of walks, Matsui can beat out an infield hit and make it a triple with speed even Ichiro has described as faster than his own.

Matsui also has tremendous range and a cannon for an arm, so there will not be much if any defensive falloff from Reyes' move to second. In fact, given that Reyes is amiable to such a move and is renowned for being such a hard worker, it should actually solidify the team's defense up the middle.

In addition to his incredible skills on the field, Matsui brings a huge, dedicated following from his native Japan. A rabid baseball fan base in Japan has already produced huge revenues for the Mariners and Yankees from merchandise sales and television rights in the country alone, in addition to the vast spoils that the teams have received from their U.S. fan base.

While it is yet to be seen how Matsui's tremendous numbers for Seibu will translate to the spacious Shea Stadium, one thing is for certain: Matsui brings an uncanny set of both baseball and marketing skills to the New York Mets.

[Link - Yahoo! Sports]
[ Author: bouton-kun | Posted: Dec 12, 2003 6:01 PM ]

Since you guys seem to have attended the press conference, here is a question: Did anybody disclose any details about his contract or the deal itself?

Call me crazy, but I am interested in the financial side of this transaction.
  • What is his salary gonna be? Was there a signing bonus?
  • How much is guaranteed? Are there any performance incentives (MVP, Gold Glove, games)?
  • How much do the Mets have to pay the Lions?
I don't expect you know all, but some info would be great.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Dec 13, 2003 9:22 PM ]

Since K. Matsui is a free agent, the Lions are owed and will get nothing.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 13, 2003 11:39 PM ]

The Mets are paying Matsui $20,100,000 over 3 years I think. He can earn up to $900,000 in bonuses. Matsui's contract has a full no-trade clause.
[ Author: InterestedAmericanObserver | Posted: Dec 14, 2003 2:17 AM ]

Matsui can also become a free agent after three years, instead of the traditional six in MLB. I'm not sure whether or not that means he can go to other MLB teams if he chooses, or if it is simply a clause to allow him to go back to Japan if he wants to.

By the way, I wasn't at the press conference, but I did watch it on Mets.com. Check it out, they've got some good stuff.

Ganbare Matsui-san!
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Dec 14, 2003 2:58 AM ]

He can also be a FA after 3 years, instead of 6. He is getting a housing allowance, airplane tickets, and use of two interpretters, similar to what the Yank's gave the other Matsui.
[ Author: KazMetsui | Posted: Dec 14, 2003 3:27 PM ]

Kaz' 3 year contract for $20.1 million is backloaded. He will get $5 million in 2004. [Link]
[ Author: bouton-kun | Posted: Dec 14, 2003 7:57 PM ]

This was an extremely lousy deal for the Lions.

What were their options?
  • Wasn't there a possibility for them to trade Matsui before he became eligible to go State-side (did the new 9 year rule already apply to Matsui?) and get other players in return?
  • Couldn't they have posted him last year and at least gotten some money in return?
I know they didn't pay any money to get him, but I would argue that his value increased by playing for the Lions. This type of deal seems to make it close to impossible to make any money on a professional sports team.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Dec 15, 2003 4:01 AM ]

Kaz was a bit undecided about coming to MLB last year, so they didn't post him.
[ Author: Guest: James Albright | Posted: Dec 15, 2003 8:49 AM ]

I don't think a trade to MLB was possible, and even if it was, getting fair value would be unlikely. However, the Lions chose not to post Kazuo last season when they had the chance. That decision was, to the best of my knowledge, completely theirs. Had they done so, they would have received financial compensation.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 15, 2003 12:15 AM ]

Matsui will be wearing number 25 for the Mets.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.