Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ichiro's Numbers Analysis

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Ichiro's Numbers Analysis
Larry Larue in the May 6, 2003 Tacoma News Tribune [Link] writes about the speculation and different theories on the reason for the decline in Ichiro's numbers.

Larue divides up people into two basic groups:

1. Fans and media who cling onto and give too much emphasis to changing numbers. This group believes that a cure has to be found - now!
  2. Players, coaches, and scouts who say that numbers don't tell all. This group says that all players have ups and downs, just have patience.

The fans and media have come up with many theories on Ichiro's slump. The article offers three main theories:

1. Ichiro Is Exhausted.
  2. Pitchers Have Figured Ichiro Out.
  3. Ichiro's Strike Zone Has Come Back To Haunt Him.

Larry Larue seems to agree with the players and coaches. This article has some interesting quotes, particularly from Ichiro himself, "I can learn from this. I will remember this, how it feels, what I'm going through, and when I go through something similar I will be more familiar with it. This could be nurturing for me."

Comments
Re: Ichiro's Numbers Analysis
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: May 7, 2003 11:45 PM | HAN Fan ]

Looks like the players, coaches, scouts group were right. Ichiro hit a home run on Sunday and went 3-for-6 with three RBIs on Tuesday against the Yankees.
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: May 8, 2003 3:45 PM ]

Far Eastern Philosophy?

Let's generalize a bit, shall we? All "Far Easterners" are Zen followers, right?
[ Author: Guest: Erad | Posted: May 10, 2003 6:33 AM ]

How about "the guy just had a bad month." He has had other months in his career that were not all that good. This time he just had a bad month at the start of the year.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: May 20, 2003 5:33 AM ]

Ichiro is back to his old self - batting over .440 this month, his average is back to .318.
[ Author: sonoda7 | Posted: May 20, 2003 9:42 PM ]

Ichiro's recent productivity has benefited me greatly. In an office baseball pool we are allowed to pick 9 MLB players for a 2 week period for mosts hits. In the first two weeks everybody picked Ichiro. But in the most recent 2 weeks everybody left off Ichiro except me. A typical example of how some people forget the talent of a great hitter with speed like Ichiro.

Matsui has actually been a good pick, too, because he almost consistently gets one hit a game.
Matsui Coming Around?
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jun 11, 2003 9:26 PM ]

Matsui's numbers, based on his current 13 for 19 streak, are coming around, too. He's got a very high number of doubles for this point in the season, and if he starts hitting them out rather than just for two bases, he could approach his major league equivalents of .290-.300 with 25-30 HR. His walks are also still on the low side, but if he starts performing at the level I've suggested he can, he'll probably get more of them because he'll get more respect from pitchers.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jun 19, 2003 12:13 AM | HAN Fan ]

Poor Ichiro is still in a slump - He hit two home runs and went 4-for-4 last night. He is only batting .347 (second in AL) with 99 hits (first in MLB); and 18 stolen bases (2nd in AL).
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jun 19, 2003 12:38 PM | HT Fan ]

Let's hope he can make adjustments and get straightened out.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Jun 19, 2003 11:53 PM ]

It's a matter of time before Melvin Mora's stat start to fall.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.