Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

The Shot Heard Round the World

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
The Shot Heard Round the World
Hello. My name is Joshua Prager. I'm a reporter at the Wall Street Journal currently on leave writing a book about Bobby Thomson's famed home run.

I've written of the many broadcasts of that home run and wondered recently if it was carried overseas. I spoke recently to a man named Felo Ramirez, currently broadcaster of the Florida Marlins games in Spanish. He told me that he was at the game on October 3, 1951 broadcasting it in Spanish, and that in a booth just next to him were men broadcasting the game to Japan and Korea. I have never seen anything written of this and clearly he may be mistaken. Can anyone tell me anything about a possible broadcast of the game?

Thanks so very much.

Sincerely,
Josh
Comments
Re: The Shot Heard Round the World
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 15, 2003 9:11 PM | YBS Fan ]

I have found something [Link - in Japanese]. #22 reads "Bobby Thompson (live radio broadcast, October 3, 1951)." The CD that they're selling is entitled "'Baseball' Original Sound Track." From the looks of other titles, I think this might be the original English broadcast, but I'm not sure. (You may want to ask them at cdshop at sound7 dot com.)

Don't know of anywhere else to look. Sorry.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.