Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Reviewing a week of Godzilla

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Reviewing a week of Godzilla
It has only been 6 games and 28 AB, but I have noticed a change in the opinion of so called baseball experts and sports writers in the U.S. The people, for some odd reason, who said that Matsui was a dead pull HR hitter and is a bad fielder have now realized that he is an all around good player. They now say that he is fundamentally a very sound player. They point out his baserunning skills. And on defense his ability to quickly get the ball to the cut-off man. These are subtle parts of the game that Joe Torre says have impressed him the most about Matsui.
Comments
Re: Reviewing a week of Godzilla
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Apr 8, 2003 12:46 PM ]

While I think Matsui will eventually be a very good, productive MLBer, I did think at first he would be pushing too hard to impress, trying too hard for a HR, especially because that's all the media asks him about. I'm very impressed that he isn't getting carried away with the long ball, and is making subtle adjustments, trying to move runners over, getting singles and doubles, and generally trying to help the team while getting acclimated to MLB pitchers. He's not hurting his team at all during this adjustment period. All in all, very impressive, and it's only going to get better...
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.