Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Help: Japan vs USA pitching rotations?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Help: Japan vs USA pitching rotations?
Hi folks. I was just reading a story in Sankei Sports and I wasn't able to pick up what they were inferring. I wonder if someone could help.

The story is about Hideki Irabu, and how he says he won't try to impose MLB "ways" on the Hanshin starting rotation, but will "comply with the Japanese style." Irabu is reported to have said something along the lines of "A start every 4 or 5 days? Yeah, I s'pose that's what'll happen. I mean I can't expect things to be the same as in the Majors."

What I couldn't follow is this: is the story implying that at 4 or 5 days between starts, Japanese starters pitch more frequently or less frequently than their MLB counterparts?
Comments
Re: Help: Japan vs USA pitching rotations?
[ Author: Dusanh | Posted: Jan 16, 2003 10:28 AM ]

There should be slightly more travel days on the Japanese schedule. So I guess pitchers pitch less frequently. I would also assume the rotation in Japan is less carved in stone compared to the majors, because not too long ago, managers still consider "guessing each other's starting pitcher" part of the game (or maybe they still do?).
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jan 16, 2003 4:08 PM | HT Fan ]

Ahhhh, I see. Thanks for that.

- Managers still consider "guessing each other's starting pitcher" part of the game.

As far as I know, it seems to be a bit of a factor in the CE League (Pa League starting pitchers are announced the day before), but no team's rotation is really a secret any more. On rare occasions, the initial team announcement will feature a hack bullpen pitcher, or even a batter or pinch runner in the No. 9 spot until that team finds out who their opposition's starter is, so that they can decide on who's going to start for them.

Sort of getting back to the original topic: Japanese teams tend to have 5-6 man starting rotations (for instance, Hanshin's 2003 roration is expected to be Igawa, Irabu, Yabu, Moore, and then a huge scrum of guys competing for the final one or two spots, Fujita, Fujikawa, Kawajiri, Taninaka, and possibly even Ishige). How many men do MLB teams usually have in their rotations?
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Jan 17, 2003 9:39 AM | HT Fan ]

- How many men do MLB teams usually have in their rotations?

Five.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.