Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Any Future Japan to U.S. Pitchers?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Any Future Japan to U.S. Pitchers?
I'm new here so forgive my ignorance on the subject, but being a fan of pitchers in general, and with all of the talk of sluggers such as Hideki Matsui, Nakamura, and Kaz Matzui coming to the U.S., are there any Japanese pitchers considering to make the same transition as these guys? Or will Ishii be the last to do so for the time being?
Comments
Re: Any Future Japan to U.S. Pitchers?
[ Author: WhiteElephant | Posted: Nov 8, 2002 3:48 PM ]

I don't know the full answer to the question.
Instead, I'll state my observations:
many MLB coaches and executives would tend to pass over starting pitchers. The folks state that the overwork (throwing 130+ pitches per game) would ruin the starter's arm. Also MLB coaches and executives would not like the 5 and 6 day rest routine. Overall, they would conclude that starting pitchers from Japan would NOT be worth the salary being offered.

However, MLB coaches and executives would more likely give a chance for relief pitchers from Japan. At least the relief pitchers don't throw 130+ pitches per game and relief pitchers do NOT rest too much.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.