Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Posting system for japanese players to America

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Posting system for japanese players to America
Hi, I have a question. how exactly does the posting system work. I know once about 10 years elapses they are eligible unless posted but who decides. Is their something like a reserrve clause holding them back. I am guessing as with Ichiro and Kaz that they have to be sold from their team before signing a contract. How exactly does it work and is their any possible loop holes. thanks.
Comments
How Posting Works
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 7, 2002 10:49 PM | YBS Fan ]

The process once a player is posted is listed here (for Ishii's case in particular).

Otherwise, you pretty much have it. A player can be posted any time before becoming a free agent. Seattle's Sasaki, the Mets' Komiyama, and Yoshii (Montreal?) all served their time in Japan and left as free agents.

The number of years is based on how a player was drafted. Those players who specified who they wanted to be drafted by (gyaku-shimei) have 10 years, 9 for those who didn't have a choice. Time on the DL doesn't count toward it, so those injured often take a little longer.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.