Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

U.S.A. Today on Migration

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
U.S.A. Today on Migration
The U.S.A. Today has a nice little article about Ishii and the possibility of the flood gates opening. Dodd-san did his homework, not only by contacting Pacific Rim scouts, but also reading up a bit here. The phone interview with him was much more enjoyable than the interview with CNN Money as Todd-san is a sports' writer, not a financial writer, and obviously a fan of the game as well.

When asked who would be next, though, my mind went blank. The two Matsuis are obvious, but I'm not sure yet who will even be eligible as a free agent (or as a one year pre-free agent posting). I wait for the end of the season to think about off season moves - it's just too early for me.

When I saw Miura's name there in the article as a possible cross over for next season, I think I could sympathize with upper management. As much as I say I'm all for players going over, when it hits home (Yokohama) that we may be losing yet another ace, there is definately an initial shock. First there was the Daimajin (Sasaki - Seattle), then Komi-chan (Komiyama - Mets), next is the Regent (Miura)? Well, Initial shock or not, I'm sure somebody will come in and fill the vacated job if/when it happens. That's the way it works. And I'll wish Miura success and support if/when he goes as well.

Nonetheless, it looks like the mainstream press is starting to come around to see that Japan is not in danger of losing ALL of its talent any time soon.
Comments
Re: U.S.A. Today on Migration
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: May 5, 2002 12:58 PM ]

They call Miura "Ban-cho," don't they? In any event, I think he wants to stay in Japan, though he has taken some tough losses this season due to the Stars' inability to create consistent offense.

Takanori Suzuki, however, is a different question. Iirc, he is eligible for free agency either this year or next and has made some noises about going to MLB, where he will do well.

Hiroki Kokubo is another one who has said he would like to at least give MLB some kind of shot and he is eligible pretty soon as well. He won't be a star, just a solid performer.

Suzuki would do nicely as a two or seven hitter in MLB. I don't think he has enough power to hit three, though he could hit six, I guess. But I think he's better in the upper part of the order.

Norihiro Nakamura will stay, I think, especially since he's having an off year. He just doesn't have what it takes defensively to play third in MLB and first base is too packed in the big leagues (well, except in Anaheim). I still suspect he won't make enough contact to be successful even if he is a DH.

Let me tell you, though, that Michihiro Ogasawara would sure be an asset to any MLB team. Too bad he will be too old before he is eligible for free agency. No way Nippon Ham posts him, especially with the impending move to Sapporo.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.