Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ichiro

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Ichiro
Dear Mr. Commish,

I become a huge Japanese baseball fan since Ichiro came to America and dominated the Major Leagues. Ichiro is a stud, period!!!

Start of this season, Ichiro has been struggling a bit, hitting only .250. I think the media has been putting a lot of pressure on him. How can a guy improve on a MVP season? Has Ichiro ever in Japan went into a slump at the beginning of a season, came back and won the batting title?

One item Ichiro can improve is his power numbers. During batting practice Ichiro can whack the ball over the fences many times with ease. Why is it that he doesn
Comments
Re: Ichiro
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 10, 2002 9:12 AM | YBS Fan ]

It seemed to me that Ichiro was often a slow starter, so it's nothing to worry about. He doesn't seem to know the meaning of pressure.

Ichiro did try to add power to his game one season, with the result being a drop in production. Of course, for him, it still equated to a batting title.

Closer to my heart, Yokohama's Suzuki-kun tried to convert to being a power hitter after winning a batting title in the Central League. His batting average dropped more than his home run numbers climbed.

Why mess with a good thing? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Be careful what you wish for.
Re: Ichiro
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Apr 10, 2002 11:42 PM ]

I remember seeing a NHK documentary about Ichiro back in 1994 after his first batting title and recorded the most number of hits (210 in 130 games) in NPB history. I remember him taking a psychological examination and the doctors showed that he is a type of person who feels no pressure whatsover. He has never gone into a deep slump. He is a very man a with a very positive outlook of his life.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.