Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese ball players in America

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Japanese ball players in America
When Japanese baseball players that are very popular like Ichiro, Sasaki, Nomo, Irabu, etc. leave Japan does it help the Japan league or not? I would think that it wouldn't but I recently read an article by Wayne Graczyk off the Japan Times Sports website, and says it is helps Japanese baseball. The author says it does and gives plenty of points to back up his opinion. The article is pretty intresting, and was wondering what other people's opinions were on this subject.
---------
Thanks
Comments
No More Doom and Gloom?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 8, 2002 8:37 AM | YBS Fan ]

Ah, so Graczyk-san has come around to reading my stuff and laid off the Doom and Gloom angle? That's good to hear.

Do you have a URL to the artile, or was it only in the paper edition? I don't seen anything like it on the Japan Times Sports Page. Just a lot of filler on how Nikkan Sports comes up with "interesting" headlines. (That's why I rarely pay any attention to the front page stories. Better details are usually on page 2 or 3.)
Re: Japanese ball players in America
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Mar 8, 2002 11:25 AM ]

> When Japanese baseball players that are very popular
> like Ichiro, Sasaki, Nomo, Irabu, etc. leave Japan
> does it help the Japan league or not? I would think
> that it wouldn't but I recently read an article by
> Wayne Graczyk off the Japan Times Sports website, and
> says it is helps Japanese baseball. The author says
> it does and gives plenty of points to back up his
> opinion. The article is pretty intresting, and was
> wondering what other people's opinions were on this
> subject.
> ---------
> Thanks

I don't think it's bad. It forces a time of transition, which is painful, but ultimately I think it will improve Japanese baseball. Already it's bringing improvements to the players' situation, things like free agency, the ability to negotiate contracts using agents, better facilities and coaching methods, and higher salaries. Personally, I think that if most Japanese players could play ball in Japan like they can in the US, they would stay. In the end, I think that's will happen.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.