Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese ifluence/impact on American Baseball

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Japanese ifluence/impact on American Baseball
hey,
I'm doing a report, and I was wondering if you could take the time to answer a few questions;

How does the societies of Japan and America(Seattle) exhibit similarities and differences?

How does America and Japan exhibit similarties and differences in the use of the sport of baseball, in a cultural and economic influence?

----- thanks
Comments
Re: Japanese influence/impact on American Baseball
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 17, 2002 10:00 PM | YBS Fan ]

- How does the societies of Japan and America(Seattle) exhibit similarities and differences?

Hmm. This is a hard question for me. Despite being raised in Central California until I was almost 16 years old, I'm afraid that I've been much more culturized in Japan than in North America. I didn't understand my peers then, and I'm not too familiar with American culture now.

Judging from what I see on TV, American culture is a combination of drug addicts, serial murderers, monopolists who can buy their way out of anything, and a government slowing turning into an Orwellian Big Brother (started with the DMCA 2 years ago, but September 11 gave them more fuel to speed up the process).

[Before you start flaming me, let me remind you, this is the impression that Hollywood and the mass media is sending out to the world. I'm sure things can't possibly be all that bad.]

When there were 16 arrests in the Tokyo area for drugs a couple of years ago (for the entire year), a campaign was started to "just say no." After all, 16 incidents was double the previous year, so it was obvious to all that the drug problem in Japan was getting out of control. There is crime and murder in Japan, but generally the kind that you're most likely to be killed by someone you know rather than randomly by a stranger. Japanese culture dictates that if one is rich, one must be good, so Microsoft is highly reviered here, despite it's track record for crashing often and having no security to speak of. And the government in Japan, while having it's share of bribery scandles, isn't nearly as focused on controlling people as it is in making sure that its people are properly cared for (national health insurance and many programs that help ordinary people, not just the extreamly rich or extreamly poor as in the U.S.). Essentially, the bureaucracy is stronger than elected officials, and operates much more smoothly.

Sociology paper topics, anybody?

- How does America and Japan exhibit similarties and differences in the use of the sport of baseball, in a cultural and economic influence?

Culturally, I know that Japanese politicians quote famous baseball players/managers often (usually Nagashima-kantoku). Furthermore, baseball terminology and metaphores are often used in business meetings and campaigns here in Japan.

Baseball's role on shaping society has diminished a great deal since the golden age (Giants' V9 era) when the whole country was unified by legends like Oh, Nagashima, Harimoto, Bessho, Kawakami, Nomura, and a whole lot more. Like the U.S. in the 1970's, Japan has been changing to more of a "me" society than a group society, mainly due to a push from the U.S. in the Regan years for more consumerism.

Economicly, Japanese teams have a lot to learn about selling goods from their MLB counterparts. While consumerism is increasing, the teams don't seem to quite understand marketing American style. The Japanese teams, for the most part, are there for name recognision by the companies that own them. The Yomiuri Group (owner of the Giants) is a huge newspaper and TV conglomerate, as is Chunichi (Dragons). Lotte (Marines) make chocolates and gum. Daiei (Hawks) and Seibu (Lions) are department store chains (among other things). Orix (BlueWave) is in the rent, lease, and loan businesses.

The only team I remember hearing about that was anything like this (i.e., a front for a business) was the St. Louis Cardnals. The league refused to allow them to name the stadium Budwieser (sp?), so it was named Bushe Stadium after the owner who's name also happened to be in the name of the beer company. (Well, that's how I heard the story anyway. Anybody know any details?)

Similarities between Japan and North America in how baseball is used would be (1) as entertainment, and (2) as a goal to strive for.

Entertainment is entertainment no matter where you are. It comes in the form of movies, music, and sports. I don't think any further comments along those lines are necessary.

As for a goal to strive for, baseball players anywhere are role models for kids. Through hard work (and a lot of talent), one can grow up to be like one's heros. That message isn't any different in the Majors or in NPB.

Some teams in Japan take this role model thing so seriously that they forbid players from dying their hair, wearing things like ear rings, and are rather strict about conduct on and off the field. A scandel, non-baseball related, will result in monetary penalties or suddenly disappearing from site on the disabled list.

MLB teams don't seem to be very strict on this point. For example, Nomura-kantoku was pretty much pressured to resign after his wife was arrested for tax evasion. Yet, Strawberry was arrested how many times for drug use and was still able to sign with ball clubs? NPB wants public heros to be well groomed outstanding citizens. MLB seems to not care what people think of their players. (Is that to take credibility away from the Players' Union? Maybe a topic for another time.)

Well, I think that this should give you something to think about for your paper. And if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you send me a draft? I'd sure like to see what you make out of this. While a draft submitted here could be reviewed by more peers (and thus give you more ideas), just say you don't want it posted and I won't.

Any cross culturalists have anything to add?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Feb 17, 2002 10:24 PM ]

That's a good point about Nomura-kantoku. American society tends to give people some leeway when it comes to making a mistake. The Darryl Strawberrys and Steve Howes have proved that in America, you are always entitled to a second, third, fourth, or fifth chance to redeem yourself. That's why Bobby Cox of the Braves can beat the living daylights out of his wife and still stay on as manager of so called "America's team."
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Feb 18, 2002 1:12 AM ]

> - How do> color="red">es the societies
> of Japan and America(Seattle) exhibit similarities
> and differences?

>
> Hmm. This is a hard question for me.

It's a hard question, period! Quite beyond the scope of this site, I think. Sociologists are still trying to figure it out, but for a good book let me recommend "Reading the Japanese Mind" by Robert March. I think it's even better once one has some experience in Japan with which to compare it to, but it is a well-written book that answers that question...

> Judging from what I see on TV, American culture is a
> combination of drug addicts, serial murderers, > href="http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-835267.html">mono
> olists who can buy their way out of anything, and
> a government slowing turning into an Orwellian Big
> Brother (started with the DMCA 2 years ago, but
> September 11 gave them more fuel to speed up the
> process).

Obviously, the media has gotten much more sensational since you left, as well.

> Japanese culture dictates that if one
> is rich, one must be good, so Microsoft is highly
> reviered here, despite it's track record for crashing
> often and having no security to speak of.

I don't know if it's highly revered. The iMac seemed to do brisk business there. I think Linux will have a hard time making inroads into Japan, partly because there may be a perception that one will not get good service with it, and a high premium is put on service in Japan. Mind you, I'm not saying they'd actually get better service with Microsoft, only that it gives the perception of better, more stable service and support. I think there's also a certain sense of snobbery in Tokyo that may not mix well with the Open Source philosophy...

> And the
> government in Japan, while having it's share of
> bribery scandles, isn't nearly as focused on
> controlling people as it is in making sure that its
> people are properly cared for (national health
> insurance and many programs that help ordinary
> people, not just the extreamly rich or extreamly poor
> as in the U.S.). Essentially, the bureaucracy is
> stronger than elected officials, and operates much
> more smoothly.

I would like to point out that in Japan the people are tightly controlled by the society itself, to a degree unacceptable to most Americans. So perhaps a little more governmental control is necessary in the U.S. Not that I'm in favor of a Big Brother type government, but I do believe in the ideal of the happy medium.

> Sociology paper topics, anybody?

Ugh, I will probably have my fill of these in the next few years...

> - How does America and Japan exhibit similarties
> and differences in the use of the sport of baseball,
> in a cultural and economic influence?

> The only team I remember hearing about that was
> anything like this (i.e., a front for a business) was
> the St. Louis Cardinals. The league refused to allow
> them to name the stadium Budweiser (sp?), so it was
> named Busch Stadium after the owner who's name also
> happened to be in the name of the beer company.
> (Well, that's how I heard the story anyway. Anybody
> know any details?)

According to David Halberstam's very excellent October 1964, shortly after purchasing the Cardinals, Budweiser honcho Augustus "Gussie" Busch rennovated Sportsman's Park and was going to call it Budweiser Stadium. His baseball people talked him out of it, pointing out that Phillip Wrigley's club didn't play in Spearmint Field. Mollified, Busch went with less commerical but imminently more ego-satisfying Busch Stadium. I don't believe there was a league ruling on the matter. And, of course, these days it's common practice to sell the naming rights to a stadium, so in MLB you have the Giants playing in Pacific Bell Park, Arizona playing in Bank One Ballpark, Houston playing in Enron Field, and the Padres playing in Quaalcomm. Heck, the Rockies play in Coors Field!

> Some teams in Japan take this role model thing so
> seriously that they forbid players from dying their
> hair, wearing things like ear rings, and are rather
> strict about conduct on and off the field. A
> scandel, non-baseball related, will result in
> monetary penalties or suddenly disappearing from site
> on the disabled list.

Again, evidence of the society itself exercising sharp control over its members before the government needs to. I think Matsuzaka Daisuke's troubles are an excellent example. For those who don't know, Matsuzaka was a 20 year old star pitcher. He accumulated many traffic and parking tickets and eventually had his license suspended. When it was found out (by the ubiquitous media) that Matsuzaka had driven to his girlfriend's house without a license, he was actually placed under house arrest! (Which sounds a little Orwellian, IMHO.) Anyway, that's all fine and good, but then Matsuzaka's team, the Seibu Lions, further punished him by suspending him, thus preventing him from playing in the bi-yearly exhibition between MLB players and Japanese players, and forcing him to give up some endorsements. When I expressed incredulity to a Japanese friend about Seibu's reaction, he told me, "It's a matter of course. He's just a kid. He still has to be raised."

Can you imagine the same situation in the U.S.? Let's say a player got his license suspended for many outstanding tickets. Of course normally a team would hardly pay attention to this. Assuming they reacted like Seibu did, the Player's Union would quickly raise a fuss. But let's set aside the Player's Union for a moment. If an American team did what Seibu did to Matsuzaka, the player could easily take the team to court and easily win. Why? Because in America there's an idea that what you do in your private life has no connection to your work-life, unless it interferes with on the job performance. Two FBI agents, a husband and wife, were fired when it was found that they frequent a swinger's club. They took the FBI to court and got their jobs back. That'd never happen in Japan...

> Any cross culturalists have anything to add?

There is much fodder for discussion, I think, but I wouldn't want this forum to become like soc.culture.japan. I think benji should definitely check out March's book and Robert Whiting's You Gotta Have Wa. I think those would both be easier to cite than www.japanesebaseball.com, as well...
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Feb 18, 2002 4:02 PM ]

Some teams here in Japan do take the role model thing too seriously, but let's not forget that until recently, players on the Cincinnati Reds were forbidden to wear facial hair and earrings. In my opinion, it's not just a Japanese thing.

Baseball etiquette and the unwritten rules that govern baseball both in the U.S. and Japan are still strictly enforced. In Japan, it's OK to steal bases with a big lead and it's also OK to swing away on a 3-0 count, but if you did that in the Majors, look out. In Japan, I learned last season that pitchers can't run full bore towards 1st base after hitting a grounder when they have a big lead. I've never heard of that unwritten rule existing in the Majors, but it seems like there are more unwritten rules in the U.S. than there are in Japan.
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Feb 19, 2002 1:50 PM ]

Last paragraph in this ESPN.com's article:

Giambi has one final task before the Yankees first full squad workout Tuesday. A small patch of hair below his lower lip will be shaved off -- per team rules.

In Japan many (most) popular players are "chapatsu" or "kinpatsu." Trying to look Western? Who knows... but it certainly is not frowned upon here. I'd say it's more controlled in the US than Japan.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.