Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2006 KBO Foreign Players

Discussion in the KBO News forum
2006 KBO Foreign Players
The LG Twins have recently signed two foreign pitchers to bolster their starting rotation - Amaury Telemaco, who spent last season with the Philadelphia Phillies, and Manny Aybar, who played for the New York Mets in 2005.

31 year old Telemaco was 0-1 with a 4.22 ERA in seven games with the Phillies. The right hander is 23-35 with a 4.94 ERA in nine Major League seasons.

33 year old Aybar had a 6.08 ERA in 22 games with the Mets in '05. The right hander is 17-18 with a 5.11 ERA in eight MLB seasons. Aybar has experience in Asian baseball as he played for the President Lions of the Chinese Professional Baseball League.

Here's a list of the KBO's confirmed foreign players for 2006:

Samsung Lions: P Tim Harrikala
Doosan Bears: P Matt Randel, Daniel Rios
SK Wyverns: P Nelson Cruz, IF Kazuhiko Shiotani
Hanwha Eagles: OF Jay Davis
Lotte Giants:
LG Twins: P Amaury Telemaco, Manny Aybar
Hyundai Unicorns: P Mickey Callaway, OF Larry Sutton
KIA Tigers: P Seth Greisinger

*teams are allowed a maximum of two foreigners
Comments
Re: 2006 KBO Foreign Players
[ Author: Guest: Chairman Mao | Posted: Dec 20, 2005 3:30 PM ]

The Lotte Giants recently announced the signing of 40 year old outfielder Jose Felix. The switch hitter hit .375 with 30 HRs and 113 RBIs for the Oaxaca Warriors of the Mexican League last season. Felix spent 11 seasons in the Major Leagues where he compiled a .280 average with 54 HRs and 324 RBIs. He previously played two seasons (1999 and 2001) for the Giants where he hit .331 with 72 HRs and 224 RBIs. In 2006, Felix will make $300,000 (including $70,000 signing bonus).

Furthermore, the Giants also inked third baseman Brian Myrow. The 29 year old hit .282 with 22 HRs and 73 RBIs last year for the Las Vegas 51s of the Triple-A Pacific Coast League before being called up to the Los Angeles Dodgers. In 2006, Myrow will make $200,000 (including $50,000 signing bonus).
[ Author: mondejoe | Posted: Dec 20, 2005 3:41 PM | YOK Fan ]

I'm following the KBO closely this year as my new job in marketing is based in Seoul.

The Samsung Lions have signed 28 year old right handed pitcher Jamie Brown to a contract. He spent 2005 with the Hanshin Tigers of the NPB.
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Dec 20, 2005 7:14 PM ]

Jose Felix, huh? I think you mean Felix Jose, the one-time rising star in MLB with the Cardinals in the ealry '90s.
[ Author: Guest: Ben | Posted: Dec 21, 2005 12:10 AM ]

Mynow looks like a good signing, but a 40 year old greybeard? I don't think he's going to last the season.
[ Author: Guest: Allen Martin | Posted: Jan 10, 2006 9:21 AM ]

Sorry Pal,

Felix Jose is one of the best conditioned athletes around. He is a pure hitter. Had the Diamonbacks team made in spring training when he ruptured his achilies running the bases the last week. He made a great comback in Mexico in 2005. He will produce far more than Myrow who has little power.
[ Author: Guest: Josh | Posted: Feb 28, 2006 11:56 AM ]

I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with Myrow's power. Especially in the Korean ballparks. Saying Felix Jose played 11 seasons in the big leagues is a little misleading, too. He hardly ever played. Look for Myrow to get on base a ton and turn those gappers in AAA last year to home runs in the smaller Korean ballparks.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 28, 2006 1:45 PM ]

- Saying Felix Jose played 11 seasons in the big leagues is a little misleading, too. He hardly ever played.

Not really. Jose was appeared in an All-Star game with the Cardinals, and was a starter with the A's, Cardinals, and Royals from 1990 to 1994. Only excluding 1995 and the past few years, has Jose not played a lot? Jose spent a lot of time in Mexico the last few years. [Baseball-Reference]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 21, 2005 3:10 AM ]

Felix Jose, now there's a blast from the past. Jose last played with the Diamondbacks in 2003. He was a 1991 All Star with the Cardinals. Since 2003, he spent a lot of time in Mexico. [Baseball-Reference]

Myrow, is a journeyman who was signed out of the independent leagues. He batted .200(4-20)with 0 HR and 0 RBI this year with the Dodgers. [Baseball-Reference]

Jaime Brown was signed by the Hanshin Tigers this year, he went 4-1 with a 5.08 ERA in 11 games with the Tigers. Brown pitched with the Red Sox beforehand going 0-0 with a 5.87 ERA in 4 games in 2004. [2005 Hanshin Tiger Stats - Borisov's Pro Yakyu] [Baseball-Reference]
[ Author: Guest: Ellen | Posted: Feb 1, 2006 4:31 PM ]

Jamie Brown will be a great addition to Lions, if given a real chance! He has always pitched with a lot of heart. I would like to be able to follow the Lions easier than I could the Tigers last year.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.