Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

MLB signing

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
MLB signing
I heard that the Boston Red Sox signed a 22 year old closer from a Japanese university. Can you confirm this?
Comments
Kumatani Signs with Boston Minor
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 16, 2002 12:50 PM | YBS Fan ]

Yes, I can confirm that. Today's Nikkan Sports has a short about Tohoku Fukushi University's (same university atteneded by Sasaki) Kumatani signing a minor league deal with the Boston Red Sox for US$450,000. It goes on to say that he's a side arm throwing right hander with a straight in the 140's (kph), a sinker, slider, and various henkakyu (can be translated as either change up or breaking fast ball). He is expected to show up to the Red Sox Spring camp starting on the 14th of next month (February).

Gee, funny how I almost missed that little article filled with information when the page dedicated to the Giants in Nikkan Sports has a lot more words yet says nothing.
Correction
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 18, 2002 9:14 AM | YBS Fan ]

japfan-san asked about this player on this thread, but apparently called him "Kumagai." My guess is that I mis-translated his name above (which is the characters "kuma" as in "bear" and "tani" as in "valley." However, the "tani" has several pronunciations to choose from - and it looks like I chose the wrong one.

I just hope that not too many people are using my miss to write main-stream articles with. I'm still wondering where the main-stream press in the U.S. got that Orix was in the Central League (which it is not) as many reported that last year.

Well at least, unlike the idiot who defamed Ohgi-kantoku as the manager who didn't give Ichiro a chance (boy was he wrong!), I can and do admit my mistakes as soon as they're brought to my attention. (The guy who wrote that was told of his mistakes by several people yet never retracted the article nor apologized to the Pro Yakyu community for it.)
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.