Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Sexism in Baseball

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Sexism in Baseball
In "Organized Baseball" (the North American Leagues), there is an official rule stating that women cannot play in any level of baseball. I don't think this rule would be enforced if a team tried to sign a woman, but I do not know. I'm a man, but this angers me. It should anger everyone. I would like to know if there is any such rule in any of the Japanese leagues. If there is, is there any movement to change it (none over here)? Also, if woman have played, can you talk about that? Thank you.
Comments
Re: Sexism in Baseball
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 4, 2001 1:24 PM | YBS Fan ]

- In "Organized Baseball" (the North American Leagues), there is an official rule stating that women cannot play in any level of baseball.

That's interesting. I would have thought that the womens' movement in the U.S. would have crushed such silliness long ago.

- I would like to know if there is any such rule in any of the Japanese leagues.

I'm not familar enough with the "official" rule book, so I can't say that the answer is a definite "no" on the professional level, but there are a number of females playing for several universities - including those in the Tokyo Big 6 League - so they are accepted at the ametuer level.

Well, "accepted" may be open to interpretation. All of them that I've heard of have been pitchers, no fielders. Also, I haven't heard of any getting any official at bats, yet. (I don't pay too much attention to college ball, so such an event may have passed without my knowledge.) The first few female pitchers seemed to be tokens as they weren't very effective in their outings. But I have glanced over some articles hinting that some have had better success recently.

I really find it hard to believe that Japan is further along than the U.S. in respect to equal rights for women. "Old Boys Clubs" still control a great deal of the economy in Japan, and especially Pro Yakyu. But then, the previous Central League Commissioner was female (retired due to health problems - not forced out by the "Old Boys"), and tried a number of programs to draw more females to games. Hey! I just realized - Japan is farther along on equal rights for women than the U.S.! Well, at least as far as the baseball organization is concerned.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Dec 5, 2001 1:21 AM | HT Fan ]

In "Organized Baseball" (the North American Leagues), there is an official rule stating that women cannot play in any level of baseball.

What does "Organized Baseball" mean? Pro? College? High school? I'm pretty sure women have played on college baseball teams and positive they've played on high school teams in the US.

I agree that the rule's silly and I'm all for equal opportunity, but I would be against any rule change that required pro teams to let women play. If an amazing female athlete came along whom could compete on a level playing field, that's fine. However, the game would suffer if a quota were established for women players IMO.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Dec 6, 2001 10:54 AM ]

"Organized Baseball" is far too broad a term. The St. Paul Saints of the Northern League signed pitcher Ila Borders to a contract some years ago. She became the first woman to play, start, and then win a professional men's game.

As far as I know, there is no rule against woman playing ball in the Major Leagues. There was no rule against little people playing in the Majors until Bill Veeck sent Eddie Gaedel up to pinch hit, so I'm thinking that there's probably no rule when it comes to women. I've scoured the rules, and I can't find any rule pertaining to little people or women. I know there have been at least three women umpires in the minor leagues, so this leads me to believe that if a woman played well enough, she could get signed.
[ Author: Cub Fan | Posted: Dec 9, 2001 2:04 AM ]

By Organized Baseball, I mean the leagues that the Major Leagues run. That includes the National, American, and all minor leagues with direct affiliations. There is a rule against women playing, I saw it in Ken Burns's film Baseball. I do not think the rule would be enforced in "Organized Baseball" if a talented woman came along. There has been a woman owner over here and several woman in independent minor leagues. I just wanted to know about any such rules in Japan. From what you all have been telling me no such rules exist. Thank you.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.