Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Home Team Cheering Section?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Home Team Cheering Section?
Where are the cheering sections for the Tokyo Giants? I'm traveling to Tokyo and would love to see a game, and I think it would be most fun to sit in the cheering section. The ticket site has two different types of tickets, one being general and the other says "YG." The YG tickets are on the third baseline, but I read the home team cheering section is on the first baseline? Or are all sections cheering sections?
Comments
Re: Home Team Cheering Section?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 5, 2016 10:55 PM | YBS Fan ]

Ah, the complexity of seating naming conventions.

In general, the home town fans sit on the first base side, with the third base side being that for the visitors. If the number of fans who attended ball games were split evenly, that would work well.

However, there tend to be many more home team fans than visitor fans. So some genius came up with reserving a section of seats on the third base side for the home team fans; and the "Premium YG Seats" (A seats) and "YG Seats" (B seats) were born.

However, what you are probably referring to are the oen sections. This is where the dedicated groups of fans play instruments, sing songs, and lead the crowd in cheering. The home team oendan is in the outfield in right field, with their counterparts for the visiting team in the left field stands beyond the left field fence. At Tokyo Dome, a chunk of the left field stands are also reserved for overflow for the home team fans.

The "YG" sections are areas set aside so that Giants fans don't have to interact with the visiting fans when the first base side of the stadium is already full. The cheer leaders are all beyond the outfield fences.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.