Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Interleague Play?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Interleague Play?
Noticed all pitchers are batting, even in PL stadiums. Is there a new rule about this? In the past, just went by home teams rule--PL=DH, CL=pitcher bats.
Comments
Re: Interleague Play?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 23, 2014 8:36 PM | YBS Fan ]

I guess you missed the memo that circulated a few weeks before the start of Inter-league. The Powers-That-Be decided to spice things up this year by swapping DH venues. So there will be no DH in Pa-League stadiums, but the Ce-League stadiums will see the DH in action.

Personally, I think this was done so that the the Fighters' fans in Sapporo could watch Ohtani pitch and bat in the #7 slot. And, behold, that's exactly what happened the first Inter-league game in Sapporo!
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: May 23, 2014 10:59 PM ]

Thanks for clarifying that. I was at the Buffaloes home game tonight and perplexed. So, yes, I did miss the memo.

So, when it comes to the Japan Series this year, are they still spicing things up? Or business as usual?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 23, 2014 11:12 PM | YBS Fan ]

It's "business as usual" so far. But considering that this DH swap was thrown in a few weeks before the start, anything can happen.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: May 23, 2014 11:22 PM ]

So, who knows what the Japan Series may have in store this year?! All righties must bat lefty? Four strikes for a strikeout and three balls for a walk? Let's spice things up!
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: May 24, 2014 10:17 PM ]

Well, the new rule worked out well in the end last night. Kaneko actually had one of the key hits for Orix batting at Hotto Motto!

Seemed pretty illogical when I first heard it, but I guess it does spice things up in a way, as it does give the fans something different. But, watching a pitcher bat isn't exactly usually something to look forward to, unless it's Otani, as you mentioned. So, maybe this will come to be known as the "Otani Rule"?
[ Author: Guest: T-Ray | Posted: Jun 19, 2014 11:27 AM ]

And unfortunately it backfired on me last night when I went to the Tigers game, Otani was the starter but could not bat. Bummer. I guess if I ever want to see him hit, I have to travel to Sapporo during interleague play!
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Sep 29, 2014 10:20 AM ]

Back to an old thread, but does anyone know what the rules will be for the Japan Series this year? I'm assuming they will follow the "normal" rules and the pitcher will bat in only the CL stadium. But since they mixed things up in interleague play this year, wasn't sure.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.